Stock Oil Cooler or Not - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 05:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stock Oil Cooler or Not

I've got 2006 F-250 6.0 stock with 178000k miles, with no upgrades and no major repairs. I,ve got to replace my oil cooler due to high deltas diffrence of over 20 degrees just driving down the road. My question is do I go back with stock or upgrade to a better one and which one is best. Also do i replace my egr cooler or delete it and is there any disadvantages to deleting it.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2013, 05:35 PM
Like a boss!

This all depends on how much money you want to spend. The Bullet Proof Diesel kits are the best hands down. A "one and done" fix. Cost varies but a kit will run you about $1800. The egr can be deleted or replaced with a beefed up cooler such as BPDs version. Not really to much of a pro and con list for this. The only real factor is if your state does emissions testing for inspection. Many users have gone both routes with good results. I deleted mine. I didn't want to buy the expensive beefy cooler.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

My recommendation based on experience - upgrade to the Bulletproof Diesel kit. Once the OEM cooler is clogged, it seems that no amount of flushing will ever get things clean again and you need to replace or remove and clean the radiator at a minimum. I know far too many people who clogged an oil cooler, did everything recommended, and then clogged the new cooler in a short period of time. Myself included.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:03 PM
Bump To Pass!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Found out this weekend I am in the same boat as you. 20 degree diff. I am going with stock. I dont tow and cant justify the extra cost for a BPD kit. If I had the money hands down BPD. FWIW the trucks out there running stock coolers probably out number the trucks with the BPD kits 10:1. That being said most of those most likley arent monitoring deltas, and most probably need a cooler replacment.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Emergency Services

The first one got you 178k. You could put in 4 OEM coolers for a BPD as far as cost.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:33 PM
KCCO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredFD View Post
The first one got you 178k. You could put in 4 OEM coolers for a BPD as far as cost.
Very well put! I can't justify throwing that much green. Well that and I just can't afford it. Maybe if I didn't have to save for new tires...hmmm? $1,600-$1,800 for a BPD cooler, which I'm not knocking BPD, I know someone that has one and is very pleased with it, but like ^^^^ said, the OEM got you 178k...
Old 07-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Like a boss!

Quote:
This is a true statement. But, did you just buy the truck? If not then at what mileage did you buy the truck? Are you sure it is the original oil cooler? Maybe it is the trucks 2nd, 3rd, 4th.......
Old 07-11-2013, 12:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kells17 View Post
Very well put! I can't justify throwing that much green. Well that and I just can't afford it. Maybe if I didn't have to save for new tires...hmmm? $1,600-$1,800 for a BPD cooler, which I'm not knocking BPD, I know someone that has one and is very pleased with it, but like ^^^^ said, the OEM got you 178k...
You can certainly put in a number of OEM oil coolers for the price of the BPD kit if you're doing the labor yourself. But then I'd ask what your time is worth, even if you have to do the job only one more time?

Some people get lucky and just have to do the job once. Not gonna lie and say the kit is inexpensive. But the quality of the parts and peace of mind made it worth it for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.