Need Ideas on Possible Causes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 06:25 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need Ideas on Possible Causes

Started having problems with FICM voltage dropping to approximately 44 volts after starting. Noticed this when Edge CTS started alarming just after starting. Set to monitor battery voltage at same time and have noticed that battery voltage just after cranking is at 11.1v to 11.6v. Seems as soon as battery voltage starts going up, which is generally in about 30 seconds or so and into the 12v range the FICM voltage also increases and when the battery voltage reaches the 13.2v range, the FICM voltage runs 47v-48v.

This happened last winter and I had the batteries and charging system checked and was told that there was no problem.

I did notice tonight that the main line on the alternator is very hot to touch. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Check your batteries. With the alternator working hard and voltage drops that might be all it is.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-09-2013, 06:43 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
My ficm voltage never drops below 48v. Your ficm is probably starting to go I'd say plan on ficm in your near future. Load test the batteries to see if they are still good but your ficm voltage is low and will probably need to be replaced. I saw two ficms for sale in the classified forum today. The lower the voltage the more risk involved with taking out injectors. Good luck.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO05SD View Post
Started having problems with FICM voltage dropping to approximately 44 volts after starting. Noticed this when Edge CTS started alarming just after starting. Set to monitor battery voltage at same time and have noticed that battery voltage just after cranking is at 11.1v to 11.6v. Seems as soon as battery voltage starts going up, which is generally in about 30 seconds or so and into the 12v range the FICM voltage also increases and when the battery voltage reaches the 13.2v range, the FICM voltage runs 47v-48v.

This happened last winter and I had the batteries and charging system checked and was told that there was no problem.

I did notice tonight that the main line on the alternator is very hot to touch. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
The wire is hot because it has a boat load of current going through it or batteries are bad drawing to much current but your ficm voltage still should not drop much like a volt or 2 not 3 or 4.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:26 AM

Just follow up on what I ended up doing.

I replaced batteries first. That seemed to help a little. Battery voltage actually stayed higher after cranking and when glow plugs shut down was up to normal voltage faster.

Watched FICM voltage next couple of days and it continued to drop. Did a little research and found International part number for the power side half shell of the FICM. Called local dealer and they had 8 in stock. Was less than $133 out door after swapping core. Pulled out FICM and installed replacement half shell. Everything seems to be good now.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:30 AM
Premium Member

You show an example of catching the FICM problem before it got critical. Without a monitor you would have probably come looking for answers to a misfire or even an it quit on me and now won't start issue. This is just another example of why a monitor is cheap insurance to know when to fix something before it leaves you stranded.

BTW, did you test your old batteries? My guess is they are probably still good.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:48 AM

I agree with you on the monitor being a great advance warning about a problem developing. Even if I don't have that particular PID pulled up on screen at that time. I have alerts set for the more critical ones that seem to occur most often out of the ones that I can monitor.

Yes I did have them checked. I was told that they were good but also that one was lower on charge than the other. The way they check them now only checks to be sure basically that they are checking within a certain range. Kept them and using one in old truck that don't drive much.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:31 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO05SD View Post
Just follow up on what I ended up doing.

I replaced batteries first. That seemed to help a little. Battery voltage actually stayed higher after cranking and when glow plugs shut down was up to normal voltage faster.

Watched FICM voltage next couple of days and it continued to drop. Did a little research and found International part number for the power side half shell of the FICM. Called local dealer and they had 8 in stock. Was less than $133 out door after swapping core. Pulled out FICM and installed replacement half shell. Everything seems to be good now.

Good catch. Glad to got her run-in right again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.