Loss of power and fuel economy. Plus slightly higher Turbo psi. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 07:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Loss of power and fuel economy. Plus slightly higher Turbo psi.

I have a 2004 with 200k miles on it and recently I have noticed a sudden decrease in fuel economy and acceleration is poor at times. I replaced injectors at 196k and my FICM is normal voltage (46-48v). I really don't know what coul be causing this. I took it in for a service and they saw the EGR valve was bad so they cleaned it and we unplugged it an i started running stanadyne formula in my fuel and I began getting 23mpg highway. Well that lasted about 2 weeks and then my mpgs slowly began decreasing and my turbo psi was increasing. Just last night I filled up and calculated my mileage and I got 15.1 mpg. Well that's too low and I need to do something. At first when all this was happening I took it to a transmission shop and they said they heard something internal and sounded serious. I later heard this shop gets sued quite often so I took it to 2 other shops and they said everything was normal. And that's what made me think it was engine related but I don't know what it could be.

My symptoms are a very loud idle, loss of fuel economy, and higher turbo boost with a sputtering sound. Also no exhaust smell in the cab which is good.

Anyone know what could be causing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Emergency Services

Maybe a video would help with "sputtering sound" and "loud idle", it's tough to tell what you mean without hearing it.

I'd start with easy stuff. Do you have a monitor...

Check your engine load, maybe it's a simple as a sticking break caliper. Extra drag makes you work harder to maintain speed=drop in MPG and more boost.
Any smoke or anything else out of the ordinary or just what you've described already?
Old 07-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishermedic View Post
Maybe a video would help with "sputtering sound" and "loud idle", it's tough to tell what you mean without hearing it.

I'd start with easy stuff. Do you have a monitor...

Check your engine load, maybe it's a simple as a sticking break caliper. Extra drag makes you work harder to maintain speed=drop in MPG and more boost.
Any smoke or anything else out of the ordinary or just what you've described already?
Yes I have a Scangauge II. What is the normal load percentage for a truck not towing? And I haven't seen any smoke.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:06 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
Fuel filters or type of fuel. My truck does not like murphy diesel it will run like junk and kill my mpg. I run exxon in my rig.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-09-2013, 05:48 PM
Serving Our Country!

Now i noticed before i pulled the turbo to clean it that it would boost like 40 psi. Almost like it would stick. Do you have something to pull codes because the scangauge wont pull codes on my truck. It could be a brake caliper locking up like mentioned above but your caliper would be hot to the touch like on fire. Just a thought good luck.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Joejack6.0 im in the same exact boat as you... Except 10 miles per gallon 12 highway.. Interested to see where this goes..

Bluedemon i pulled my turbo, cleaned it, put a video on here of the vgt working correctly, did a vgt relearn and im still getting 35-40 psi boost and horrible compressor surge. Did i mess something up? Not trying to derail your thread o.p.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-09-2013, 06:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedemon6.0 View Post
Fuel filters or type of fuel. My truck does not like murphy diesel it will run like junk and kill my mpg. I run exxon in my rig.

I'm not sure who supplies my fuel. They only have my service station on KY and IN. I go there almost every week so I doubt that's the problem.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:13 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps_lane01 View Post
Joejack6.0 im in the same exact boat as you... Except 10 miles per gallon 12 highway.. Interested to see where this goes..

Bluedemon i pulled my turbo, cleaned it, put a video on here of the vgt working correctly, did a vgt relearn and im still getting 35-40 psi boost and horrible compressor surge. Did i mess something up? Not trying to derail your thread o.p.

Does your Degas bottle have excessive pressure or puking?
Old 07-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejack6.0 View Post
I'm not sure who supplies my fuel. They only have my service station on KY and IN. I go there almost every week so I doubt that's the problem.
Fuel filter dirty will kill mpg, do you have a fuel pressure gauge? Blue spring update?
Old 07-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps_lane01 View Post

Did you check EGR valve? They determined mine was bad and it was doing the same before then they cleaned it but they suggested I replace it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.