Wait to start/water separator lights = stall while driving - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 06:02 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wait to start/water separator lights = stall while driving

Ive been having a major issue as of late, every time it has rained (everyday lately) the truck will stutter or completely stall out. When this happens the wait to start light and water in fuel light both kick on. Usually it clears up on hot days or when it runs for a while. Any clue on where to start to look for the solution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2013, 06:25 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Might want to start with draining your HFCM, replace the fuel filters and while you have the back cover off of the HFCM clean it out. Also, make sure you are running something like Diesel Kleen it will help disperse water and keep any growth from happening. Hope this helps
Old 07-06-2013, 06:38 AM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Ahhh ha!! I had the EXACT same issue with my 04 a few years back. It was a pain in the arse figuring it out because nobody had seemed to have the same problem before and wasn't positive as to what it could be. It took me a couple months to figure out. I tried just about everything, checked FICM, HFCM, PCM, GPCM, batteries, wire chaffing under steering column, etc. Finally a really good tech here suggested that I start looking at the wiring harness from the PCM to the FICM and the harness from the FICM to the injectors. I found both harnesses from a guy here that did a Cummins swap and didn't need his anymore, swapped out the harnesses and the problem went away. I have never had that issue again to this day.

Hope that helps you some.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:11 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
yep definitely a short somewhere. what year is the truck? ICP sensors can short out and mess with anything VREF related.

if you still have a fuel heater you may want to try unplugging it, they are known to short out also.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:15 AM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
yep definitely a short somewhere.
You know even better than I do that there are MANY places that could chafe and short. That's why it was suggested that I not waste my time trying to find a wire that is shorting out in the whole mess of wire in the harnesses. I really couldn't tell you if it was the harness from the PCM to the FICM or the one from the FICM to the injectors that fixed my problem.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:20 PM

My truck is an '04. I haven't ever messed with the fuel system at all, I thought the dealership would drain the water/fuel separator during regular service :/
How much did the harness's cost?
Old 07-08-2013, 08:05 PM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

It was cheap because it was used and I just happened to stumble on it because the guy had no use for it. You would have to do some diggin around here or try to find one through google.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:27 PM

How difficult was it to replace? I won't lie, I don't usually work on the diesel lol. I replaced the entire interior, converted the headlights, swap and updated the back. But I've always had somebody work on the engine for me (engine is way too expensive for me to screw up) would it even be possible to repair the harness? Most threads I read they just replace the whole thing.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:12 PM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

It's VERY easy to replace in my opinion. As far as fixing the harness, like I said earlier, you are better off just replacing it instead of bumbling through all the wires to TRY to find a bad one.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:59 AM

Well I got a set of harness's off an '05 and I'm attempting to swap right now, it's turning out to be a little more difficult than I thought, is there any step by step instruction alas out there? And am I gonna run into any problems with it being an '04 and the harness being an '05?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.