what is considered "high" deltas??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 02:45 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what is considered "high" deltas???

Hey everyone. Ive had my 6.0 for about 3 years now and have done A LOT of work to it as preventative maintenance, never had to replace anything because it went bad (besides the black onxy HG's) This weekend i towed about 7k lbs for about 3 hours and my Deltas maintained a difference of 30-35 degrees with the EOT reaching 240-245 and the ECT sitting around 210. When im driving on a regular basis NOT towing my deltas sit around 10 degrees difference. When i had the HG's done about 40k miles ago i also had the oil cooler replaced since it the top of the motor was apart. Im about to drive to Florida (not towing anything) in a month, can i get everyones professional opinion if i should be worried about the oil cooler or does this seem normal while towing?? Also ive had a coolant filter kit on for a few years also. Opinion really appreciated!! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Ive heard the guys say that the DELTA 15* rule does not apply when pulling a trailer. So with you running a 10* spread Id say have a good trip!
Old 07-01-2013, 04:28 PM

In my opinion I'd say you oil cooler is clogged, or at least starting too. From what I've read on forums you can still be in the safe zone as far as deltas are concerned with freeway or moderate driving in town and still have a clogged or clogging oil cooler. I've read that a good oil cooler will have no problem keeping the differences maintained in the safe zone even with loads twice as heavy as yours. Also to be honest 10* delta for daily driving sounds a little high to me. I've read that they should down closer to 4* to 8* difference. Also do you still have the egr cooler on you truck?
Old 07-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the feedback guys, very much appreciated. Still undecided on what to do. The EGR deleted 3 years ago when i had the HG's done the first time. I dont know if it matters or not but in the past 3 yrs (40k miles) the truck has has a R.R. fuel return, powermax turbo, banks intercooler, the coolant filtration as mentioned in post 1, heater core, water pump. Keep the opinions coming guys, very much appreciated!
Old 07-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

From my understanding, the best way to see if your cooling properly, is a wide open throttle test.

Get up to normal temps, go wide open to get the oil hotter than normal, then back down to 60 mph and see if your temps go back to normal quickly.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Premium Member

ill give that a shot this week and see how it does
Old 07-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselnDrums View Post
In my opinion I'd say you oil cooler is clogged, or at least starting too. From what I've read on forums you can still be in the safe zone as far as deltas are concerned with freeway or moderate driving in town and still have a clogged or clogging oil cooler. I've read that a good oil cooler will have no problem keeping the differences maintained in the safe zone even with loads twice as heavy as yours. Also to be honest 10* delta for daily driving sounds a little high to me. I've read that they should down closer to 4* to 8* difference. Also do you still have the egr cooler on you truck?
I would say false to this. You can't determine this when pulling a load. The delta test should be performed around 55-60 mph on flat ground WITHOUT a load. Above 13 and plan on doing an oil cooler in the future. Search the forum a little more and there are hundreds of threads about this. I think you are fine.

Probably could use a coolant filter. On the interstate using Vivian's Looney tune running 85 mph going from north Ga to Daytona beach Florida last month mine was around 8-12 delta. You should be fine.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngaraiderman View Post
I would say false to this. You can't determine this when pulling a load. The delta test should be performed around 55-60 mph on flat ground WITHOUT a load. Above 13 and plan on doing an oil cooler in the future. Search the forum a little more and there are hundreds of threads about this. I think you are fine.

Probably could use a coolant filter. On the interstate using Vivian's Looney tune running 85 mph going from north Ga to Daytona beach Florida last month mine was around 8-12 delta. You should be fine.

My bad! Just saw you already had a coolant filter

Old 07-02-2013, 07:19 AM
Premium Member

IIIRC the speed at which the test is done at is between 60 and 65 mph

sent from my Samsung S4
Old 07-02-2013, 07:22 PM

I don't want to derail this thread or take away from the OP but Shouldn't the deltas still be relatively in the safe zone even if you are towing a pretty heavy load? To be honest I'm still just trying to get accurate information on this cause from the research I've done it's been a pretty even 50/50 split on how people feel about the deltas when towing. Some say it's fine and other say that it's clogging. I guess it's time to do some more research.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.