help please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 06:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
help please

I'm sorry I know that there are a ton of problems similar to mine and I have read all of them and I just don't know where to start.
Here goes, ok my 2004 ford f250 6.0 is driving me crazy, it has been in the shop for approx. 3 month this all started about a year and a half ago with 120k on the truck either the head gasket went or the egr was clogged, so I went in and bought the total solution package: head gaskets, studs, EGR delete, new oil cooler, screen, coolant filter system, the only thing I didn't do was resurface the heads, my mistake I listened to a mechanic because I was not to familiar with diesel motors he told me to put a straight edge on the two heads and checked to see if they was warped so I did and they seem really straight and flat so I put it back together. Well needless to say in about 4 months I was doing it again because the head gasket blew again. this time taking no chances I took the heads to a shop and they had hair line cracks coming from the valves so I bought new heads and since they were brand new I figured that it wouldn't hurt to have them ported and polished and I had the injectors tested and 3 were founded to be bad so I replaced them. and since I did that, I figured a new banks intercooler set up would be nice, new 5 inch exhaust, a five star torque converter, I upgraded the turbo, Airaide air filter system, and a tuner with gauges to monitor everything, I put it all back together and it runs really good this time. Then it started to miss so I didn't have time to do the work myself so I took it into ford the scanned the truck and said a couple injector were bad so they replaced them, again running great, then it started to miss and smoke so back to ford again a couple injectors are bad so they replace them, then I was on a little trip and it just died it would crank but not start so I had it towed home and found my ficm was bad so I sent it to someone and while it was there I had them do the 58 volt upgrade and when I got this back it was running great again, then it started to blow black smoke all the time so back to ford they said all the injector are over fueling and they said I had a short in the wiring harness for the motor causing everything to be messed up. so they replaced that and then when that didn't fix the problem they said it was only part of the problem and all 8 injectors need to be replaced. so now scared I decided to take it so someone else ford had about 5k of my money and I have put 8k in it myself with out my labor so money is getting to be a issue well the shop I took it to said that the injectors had to be replaced so another 4k oh and while ford had the truck and this shop they both put in a new ficm to see if that was the problem and it ran the same as with mine so we crossed that off the list?? so the truck runs good for a little it and then winter and I was having a cold start problem the truck would start but would blow greyish black smoke and a could not go without it stalling until it warmed up, after it was warm no problem no smoke tons of power but as soon as I let it sit for 30 minutes or more I would have to start all over with the smoke and stalling until warm. so back to the place that replaced the injectors because it had less than a thousand miles on it and the codes were saying the injectors were bad again, oh and I thought that the cold start was do to the ficm because that's what I gathered from reading here so I replaced the ficm with a new stock one course that didn't help so it has been at the shop since March and they are completely stumped they put in a new set of injector and the show bad immediately please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2013, 07:15 AM
Serving Our Country!

wow...why would it blow injectors that often. I see you had one of the wiring harnesses replaced..but has anyone checked the fuel injector harness? How does the fuel pressure look? Then I would think the next question would be in what condition is your high pressure system in? To just keep blowing injectors in mind boggling. They are picky on pressure though. Because its harder to start after it sits for a bit, sort of has me thinking you have an oil pressure issue. My truck was doing the same thing so I sent out the FICM to be repaired..then found out my HPOP bearing blew out, so I had to take it out to plug it up.

Without tearing into it trying to throw parts in every direction, should be able to hook up a scan tool and get your ICP and IPR readings. That should at least tell you if you do have a high pressure oil leak somewhere..which could definitely cause injector issues. But the injectors showing bad immediately...has me thinking it might be something with the electrical system. What code was it giving? Was it High Circuit? Or did you have contribution codes?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the fuel injector wiring harness was replaced when it was at ford. The scan tool shows my oil pressure is good, and the fuel pump or lift pump was replaced also so the fuel pressure is good. and maybe I wasn't clear it starts right up but it smokes and if I try to step on the accelerator I hear loud injector knock and it then stalls, it smells like it is running real rich, like the choke was on in a gas motor? As soon as it warms up which is 20 to 30 minutes it runs great, I am so confused as is the shop that its at they have called ford engineers and they want to keep throwing parts at it and I cant afford it anymore. I love this truck but I wish I hadn't put all this money into it.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also Thank you for your service!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.