A/C issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 07:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A/C issues

The A/C quit working on my 2006 the other day... driving down the highway for ~15mi, the air was working fine, and then I noticed it was blowing hot. A few minutes later, it went back to cold, and then a few more minutes, back to hot. It did this three times in the 15 miles. When I drove the truck the next day, the A/C was not working at all. I figured that it may be low on freon because the compressor is not kicking on, so I bought a self charging kit and tried it out. When I hook it up, the needle on the gauge is completely pegged out to max, and I can't get the system to take any of freon.

I don't think the gauge works right unless the compressor is turning (is this right?), so I'm not worried about the reading (yet anyway). I tried the can on my wife's 4Runner (A/C works), and it seems to work fine. The gauge reads well and the can transfers freon (it gets cold in my hand). Any idea why I can't put any in the truck? What else should I look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2013, 08:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
the needle is pegged because the clutch is not engaged, sounds like you might have a pressure switch issue
Old 07-01-2013, 03:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I think that the connector from the freon isn't making good connection. When I hook it to another car and pull the trigger, you can hear and feel the gas running out of the can. When I hook it to the truck, nothing happens. Same thing when I hook up a set of gauges; they don't change at all when I open the valves.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-01-2013, 11:15 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Your compressor clutch has to be turning for it to draw from the can. Guages wont tell you a thing if the clutch isnt engaged. If you are low on freon the clutch wont kick on as precaution and you need to jump the relay with a paperclip. If that doesnt work you need to test your pressure switch as a previous poster suggested.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Then why can I hear and feel freon leaving the can when I hook it to my wife's car with the engine off? I've charged systems before starting at empty and the compressor doesn't come on until the pressure is high enough. There should be enough pressure in the can to put at least some in the system.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:00 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
If the pressure in the can is higher than the pressure in the vehicle the can will empty into the veh. That's the only way it works
Old 07-01-2013, 06:08 PM

If you are looking to push freon in you can always set the can in a bowl of hot water. Not boiling just as hot as it will get from the tap. It will take some time too without the clutch engaged. With that said, i would be very cautious of trying to add freon without being able check the pressure. Have you tried jumping the clutch relay?
Old 07-03-2013, 05:48 PM
Premium Member

Unfortunately, these systems are prone to the dessicant bag busting. That clogs the orfice, then when the compressor kicks on the pressure shoots up and the high pressure switch will shut it down. Thats my guess.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:38 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to bwmtnbiker
As stated before, if the gauge is pegging out than the compressor is not running. You need to try jumping the relay to make it come on for just a short period so it will draw in the freon.

I just got done replacing my whole system, evaporator, drier and condenser. The compressor was new from the last time it blew up and quit. A/C systems are very picky, learned from experience working at a pepboys shop.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-03-2013, 07:50 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by southend View Post
Unfortunately, these systems are prone to the dessicant bag busting. That clogs the orfice, then when the compressor kicks on the pressure shoots up and the high pressure switch will shut it down. Thats my guess.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
BINGO he hit the nail on the head!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.