Intermitten hard/no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 03:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Intermitten hard/no start

I have been having a hard/no start problem for a while. At first I was thinking dummy plugs, or some hpo problem, because it has never done it on a cold engine, only hot and after it has been shut down for 10 - 60 minutes, but it is intermittent. So now I let the Edge cts boot up before cranking each time I start it. Had it happen twice since. FICM v = 49 - 49.5v, ICP = 675+. Of course after cranking I get the P2614 & P2617 codes. I clear them each time.

Any ideas? Oh, and the fuel economy is in the toilet now too. The liar on the dash is saying about 14.8 @ 50mph flat, level ground. In the past it would have been 19 - 20. Don't know. Just thought the two could be related.

Thanks in advance,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith View Post
I have been having a hard/no start problem for a while. At first I was thinking dummy plugs, or some hpo problem, because it has never done it on a cold engine, only hot and after it has been shut down for 10 - 60 minutes, but it is intermittent. So now I let the Edge cts boot up before cranking each time I start it. Had it happen twice since. FICM v = 49 - 49.5v, ICP = 675+. Of course after cranking I get the P2614 & P2617 codes. I clear them each time.

Any ideas? Oh, and the fuel economy is in the toilet now too. The liar on the dash is saying about 14.8 @ 50mph flat, level ground. In the past it would have been 19 - 20. Don't know. Just thought the two could be related.

Thanks in advance,
It could be a variety of problems going on. Icp seems good. Whats icp vs desired while running. Wiggle your wiring harness around while someone starts it- ficm and main engine harness see if it clears up or starts up right away. Whats your fuel pressure like?

Pretty much need to go through the whole "nostart sticky" and see what doesnt check out cause those codes are most likely just from a long crank time.
Keep us posted

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 06-28-2013, 05:46 PM

Thanks. Been perusing the "no start" sticky.

A side note. When I get the hard start, right after it starts it has no throttle response whatsoever for a few seconds. It just idles and barely does that, then while holding the accelerator down, after a few seconds it suddenly takes off.

I'm a bit ticked. Onl 97k on it and I'm already starting to have issues.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:57 PM

No problem, and yea i can share your frustration there... Im not familiar with all the parameters that the cts will pickup on... Can it see ckp and cmp Sync?
When starting... What is ipr duty cycle, icp desired and icp actual? You might want to pull up RPM and monitor that as well. If it says zero or has out of the ordinary numbers then it could be no SYnc or a bad sensor.
One more thing, check your actual battery voltage with a multimeter while cranking... Your ficm voltage can be perfect but your battery voltage can be lower than 11v which will cause a no start as well as RPMs to be under a certain amount which will not allow the pcm to start. Pull as many values as you can. Good luck

Old 06-30-2013, 06:16 PM

Aarrrgh! done it again this eve at Church. Rolls over fine, fires and rolls on it's own for a few seconds then quits. Done this several times and a couple of times it ran long enough that you thought it was going to take off then....it quit. Finally, after being ribbed about buying a dodge or a chevy, or borrowing a dodge to ride home in, it took off. Ran fine all the way home, I shut it off then it restarted just fine. Go figure.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:22 PM

I just tried it again. Stumbled a bit but started. I'm thinking it's gotta be a fuel problem. I'm going to try changing the filters first, but the more I think about it, the electric pump sounds a bit different. I may try that next after making sure the lines are clear.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:24 PM

Make sure filters are all motorcraft and try to check fuel pressure. Make sure your caps arent broken also. Might have air getting in the lines as well. Any problems with injectors, Hfcm, fuel pump etc?

Old 07-01-2013, 03:33 PM
Premium Member

Based on your description, I suspect a faulty FICM, a bad harness or plug corrosion, or even an IPR issue. I would check the the FICM, and IPR/ICP relationship as you try to start or move when there is a problem. Of course, the codes you have indicate a CMP and a CKP problem. To have both OPEN is a bit unusual, but being intermittent, it is probably a wire harness issue. You need to eliminate the good items and focus on what is consistently bad. Not so easy on how it seems to present itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.