EGR Throttle position alert and P0401 code - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 08:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR Throttle position alert and P0401 code

2004 6.0 with 163k, stock as far as I know, I'm second owner as of May, 2013. DashBoss monitor connected a couple weeks ago, no DTC's found. Yesterday an "EGR Throttle Position Alert" with values 80,000 to 114,600 showed up. (don't know why I programmed in that parameter to check, don't have much of an idea what it does, was just getting familiar with DashBoss a few days before this started). CEL came on and DashBoss found DTC P0401. Truck ran about the same, runs rough for 4-5 miles then seems to run OK, no white/black smoke at startup or when running warm.

What I have done in last week before this started:
Replaced fuel filters. Check air filter-good. Cleaned EGR-moderate soot-3 days before code appeared. Put in a new radio without blowing any fuses. Changed oil to T6/AR9100 additive, placed rags around filter housing to keep tidy-code came on with first start up after oil change.

Checked wires around EGR valve, all seem secure. According to DashBoss: FICM 48-49.5 when running (can't check immediately at start because of DashBoss bootup), battery 13.2-13.7 within a couple minutes after start, turbo boost rises and falls as I think it should. EOT/ECT 4-8.

DashBoss was able to clear the code and CEL went off. Code came back 15 miles later. Cleared it again, thought I should get some advice about what to do next.

I live in Salt Lake City, yearly emissions check.

Just filled up the tank after 357 miles of ownership, hand calc 15.65mpg, seems pretty reasonable for commute 10 miles, 50/50 freeway/urban with one good 3 mile freeway hill. Thanks, Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2013, 12:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Early 04 has an o3 engine. Easiest way to tell is the 04 engine has the ICP sensor mounted in the passenger valve cover. The EGR TPS sensor is supposed to be unplugged on the 04 engine and was completely removed in 05 with a redesigned elbow.

Now I thought the programming was removed when they quit useing the sensor but if you plugged in the sensor maybe you are getting conflicts.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

EGR throttle position error, P0401 code

Hi dannyboy950, thanks for the input.

The truck is 6/04 construction, not in the serial numbers that others have referred to as 2004.5, has the ICP sensor coming out of the valve cover on passenger side, about a quarter way back from the front. (I think I know what I am looking at )

I checked the wires again and it doesn't seem like there is a loose wire, or wires intentionally not connected hanging from the harness in the area.

It sounds like a non-critical issue as far as engine health is concerned so I will try again tomorrow to clear the code and see what happens.

My major concern, then, is passing emissions next year if I can't get rid of this code.

Thanks for your help. With this truck and this forum I am learning all sorts of things I didn't know I didn't know. Paul
Old 06-28-2013, 06:24 PM

To my understanding, This reading is inferred through multiple sensors. Maf, map and ebp all give readings to the pcm that COULD potentially throw this code. If your turbo veins are sticking it could throw this code. if you have an intake or cac leak it could throw the code. You already cleaned the egr, I would Clean all those sensors using the correct cleaners, check your intake, boots, etc. clear the code, then see what happens. If there was soot in the egr you could have insuffiecent exhaust flow to the ebp sensor. Clean the tube and the sensor real good with compressed air and some throttle body cleaner.

Just throwing out ideas!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 06-29-2013, 07:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

EGR throttole position sensor, P0401 code

Thanks ps lane01!!

I didn't realize that several circuits/systems could be involved.

I will start checking all of these things again.

Is there any particular contact cleaner that you could recommend that won't eat up the plastic? I have done that before and it wasn't pretty.

When I took out the EGR valve it didn't look nearly as bad as some I have seen in videos, not more than 1/16-1/8" in thickness in a few small areas, cleaned out easily, soft black soot.

I didn't even know I had a EBP sensor 'til now, but I read up and found it on the top front of drivers side exhaust manifold. Do I take off that 8-10" crooked tube completely to clean it (I am assuming so)? If so, any tricks? It always makes me anxious to take off anything from an exhaust manifold because it seems like it gets welded on by corrosion .

Thanks again for your help. I (with a lot of help reading from forum friends I have yet to meet) did some trouble shooting on the ventilation sx and autolock front hubs and replaced my vacuum pump and all is working this morning! I know this is probably PSD kindergarten level but I'm starting from zero and have to enjoy my success, until the next "lesson". Paul
Old 06-29-2013, 06:35 PM

MAF sensors rarely go bad. Skip that. Ebp i use little carb cleaner and compressed air through the tube. MAP sensor, the hose, and the nipple on the intake should all be cleaned with carb or MAF cleaner just for safe measures. If you still get the code after a nice cleaning then your probably looking at a wiring issue or faulty egr valve. Theirs two sensors on the intake elbow... If you look where the wires plug in to, there shouldnt be any pins at all (your engine may have the pins, not 100%), caught me off gaurd first time I saw that tho. Ive never had this code come up because i have a delete but ive read on here that even sticking turbo veins can throw that code because of incorrect EBP.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:37 PM

Was your a/c blowing out of the defrost vents?! Same thing happened to me!

Old 06-30-2013, 05:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

EGR Throttle Position error, P0401 code

Thanks ps lane 01!

I will check and clean those areas carefully. I am suspicious that it might be a wiring problem around the EGR valve because I got this code within a couple minutes of changing the oil and I had placed some rags around the oil filter housing to keep tidy and may have bent one of the many wires or connectors in the area.

Yes, my AC worked but only through the defrost vents, which I read was the default ventilation setting if there was no/poor vacuum/leaks. For me it was a simple vacuum pump replacement, couldn't find any leaks.

It may take a couple of days to report back, I will be out of town. Thanks for your expertise and moral support! Paul
Old 06-30-2013, 08:27 AM

Not an expert at all... But Once youve owned a 6.0 for a few years you feel like you might as well apply for a job at ford lol

Old 08-20-2013, 05:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

P0410 Code disappeared

Well I got busy with a bunch of life but over the past few weeks have been able to check and clean all the connections I could find, cleaned the EBP sensor/tube-I think, and got had tried to clear the code and get rid of the CEL. Seemed to be able to get rid of the code, but the DashBoss EGR throttle position still gave an alert with crazy numbers up into the millions. Truck is running find, pleased with that. CEL stayed on even when I cleared the codes. Then it sat for about 3 weeks, and I added a coolant filter-that was easy-ran it for a little while, and then the truck sat for a couple more weeks.

This past week I used the truck again. Started and ran well and no CEL!!! The DashBoss now has "N/A" in the EGR throttle % box.

So now the truck thinks it is doing OK, no CEL and no codes.

Now what do I do? Should I "be happy, don't worry", or should I worry more? It always concerns me when I have no idea what is going on, things seem to sneek up and bite me in the a$$.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.