turbo spooling but truck not goin anywhere! help!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 09:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
turbo spooling but truck not goin anywhere! help!!

so, i have this issue with the truck. i kinda dont understand what it is.

ill start the truck, let it warm up go for a ride . ill get on it a bit the turbo will spool up and i can feel the power. now heres where it gets weird. when the truck gets hot, it will loose power. u can still here the turbo spooling, but u have to damn nea put the pedal to the flooor then u can count 1,2,3 then u can feel it get power but the exhaust just roars but the truck doesnt go anywhere. it only does that after its warmed up. then when i get to 50 mph im guessin it goes into overdrive cause the rpm will drop and itll just cruise but to actually get up and go, i have to push the pedel to the floor. and the weird part is, after its warmed up from a dead stop i can kindsa get on it and it will go a bit but one i get to second or third here i try to get on it..all u can hear is spooling and building boost but not goin anywhere. the highest i could get boost to was about 12-15 pounds and i know it can twice that much. could it just be dirty turbo? please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013, 09:24 PM
Serving Our Country!

how long have you been running the bigger tires it could be trans related as well... you have a guage to monitor "torque converter lock up %) and shifts?
Old 06-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

a good while... and no i dont have gauge to monitor it. it shifts when its supposed to . i was hoping maybe veins sticking in the turbo. cause its done this before but to an extent. how could i tell if it was trans related or torque converter related?
Old 06-17-2013, 04:49 AM
Premium Member

Without it being an exhaust or boost leak, the most probable cause is a fouled VGT section in the turbo. The way you described it, it could also be a transmission or T/C problem. If it was slipping a lot there is only a small load, so you wouldn't get high boost at all. However, without a monitor and diagnosis, who really knows. Get a monitor and save yourself and us from the aggravation of guessing.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

K well I did a VGT relearn and nothin. Same thing. Its gotten worse. Like it boggs down. I have to floor it for it to go. Fo I have to unplug programmer to do the vgt relearn or just put it in stock mode? Also. Doesn't feel slippage on trans. Ill floor it anf rpms will go up to about 3000 rpm and boost will only go up to about 15 pounds when I know its capable of more. Where should I start for exhaust or boost leaks. I do have a few plugs just hanging around. Cause I put new intake elbow from sinister and egr delete also.
Old 07-14-2013, 02:09 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sounds like a boost leak to me. Are your egts higher than normal also?
Old 07-14-2013, 02:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yea. Normal there wothin 15 degrees or so. Ill notice when im having to get on it it will go up to about 220. Or so. When truck is fully hot it runs more and more sluggish like my pedal feels like I have no power. And im running 65 pounds of fuel psi at idle and as low as 55-57 at WOT. It spools up slow I feel boosting up feels like the its boost and boost is dissapearing. Lol. And I have brand new oil cooler and coolant filter and new oil change. Truck is running hot from no good boost. Where could boost leak be
Old 07-14-2013, 05:55 PM
Bump To Pass!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What are you seeing for ICP numbers when WOT? Also IPR% would be good too. Sounds like HPOP to me. Just did one on a customers truck that did the same thing. It started the same hot as cold but would only build 1700 psi when WOT. Pumps front seal was blown.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If seal is blown would it be leaking from the truck? I dont have gauge on my hpop but oil pressure gaige on dash is always in the middle. Im only gettin about 15 pounds of bosst and wot. And I no the exhaust has a roar to it when im cruisin. I can be cruisin at about 45 and push the throttle about half way and boost will go up but truck will lag about 5 secs then start to pick up speed. The exhaust sounds the same as it did last time that the turbo was sticking
Old 07-15-2013, 03:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did this happen out of the blue? Progressively get worse? After a mod? Sounds like a boot or exhaust leak. Very well could be hpop as well.. Gotta share some scan results or its a wild goose chase.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.