Another crank no cold start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 01:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another crank no cold start

I have a 2005 F350 6.0. I recently replaced the ficm. Prior to the ficm going bad the truck ran fine. Once I got the ficm back in, I started the truck. It took longer than normal to start. That happened for 2 days. The truck seemed to run fine once it got started. The truck no longer starts. I hooked up a ScanGauge2 and the ficm is showing 49v key turned and cranking, so that appears to be fine. It also shows it is syncing. The problem I found is the ICP fluctuates between 250-380 when cranking. I pulled a three wire plug on what i believe is the ICP on the passengers side valve cover and tried to restart with no luck. I really have no idea where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated as i need to get it running soon since it is my daily driver and it is parked in someone elses driveway. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2013, 01:57 PM
Premium Member

HPO oil leak. Hook up air and listen to the clues. It may take 30 seconds or so to purge out the rails, then you will hear air in the crankcase. You then close the IPR, with a diagostic tool (IDS, AE) or with 12v power to a separate plug to the IPR, or ground the yellow and red wire (the other wire is red and is 12v+). Don't leave it powered too long, it is hard on the coil. You should be able to find where the air is coming from, but you will probably have to pull the valve covers and . If you hear air gurgling in the oil filter (open it), your HPOP is shot. You may also have to remove the turbo and HPOP cover to hear the STC.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It's not a high pressure oil leak. He's having cold start issues. Not hot start issues.

1stSgt - are you using Motorcraft oil filters, fuel filters, and caps?

All that being said, your ICP needs to be around 500 for the truck to fire.

Any codes?

Semper Fi.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
It's not a high pressure oil leak. He's having cold start issues. Not hot start issues.

1stSgt - are you using Motorcraft oil filters, fuel filters, and caps?

All that being said, your ICP needs to be around 500 for the truck to fire.

Any codes?

Semper Fi.
I know I have used Motorcraft in the past. Not certain if that's what's in there now though. I have no codes, but 1 pending code of P2285. When it was harder to start I had to hold the key and I could hear the motor gradually increasing speed until it finally started. Once it started it ran fine. Hoorah
Old 06-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Premium Member

I would check to see if you have motor craft/racor filters in it. They have caused many problems in the past

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 06-15-2013, 05:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a fram oil filter and I can't see a brand on the fuel filter. Could be Motorcraft...
Old 06-15-2013, 05:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Shoot. Move. Communicate. Then get a Motorcraft oil filter in there and ensure the filter cap is OEM.

Aftermarket oil filters and/or oil filter caps have been shown to cause this problem. No promises, but its a good place to start.

Last edited by Snake; 06-15-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:30 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
SNAKE

Quote:
The problem I found is the ICP fluctuates between 250-380 when cranking. The truck no longer starts
OP

I would like it to be as simple as a filter/housing issue. Test it and move on.

It has been a developing problem. Now his truck no longer starts. He has low ICP. It is unlikely he has a filter problem. Based on the pressure reading it is most likely HPOP, but it could be an o-ring or any other fitting in the HPO system.

Last edited by twoicebergs; 06-15-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoicebergs View Post
SNAKE

OP

I would like it to be as simple as a filter/housing issue. Test it and move on.

It has been a developing problem. Now his truck no longer starts. He has low ICP. It is unlikely he has a filter problem. Based on the pressure reading it is most likely HPOP, but it could be an o-ring or any other fitting in the HPO system.
Is it not typical when you have a hpop issue that it causes the truck to run poorly after it is started? Mine ran good from the second it actually cranked until I cut it off. I never had any issues until I put that damn ficm back in. Btw...it was also hard to crank after it was hot to. It was the same whether first thing in the morning or a stop at the gas station. I don't have the money to start replacing a bunch of parts, so I just want to make sure.I replace what is necessary.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:44 PM
Premium Member

HPOPs can slowly die or go out all at once. If the truck is stock, the HPOP can be on its way out and still run fine after it is started and drive normally. Same for a leaking seal, fitting or o-ring. They all typically work better cold, and usually gets worse as the oils thins during a second start. When running, the higher rpm and volume can easily mask a smaller leak that would prevent a start from being successful.

I am not clear on your "hard to crank" comment. Is this a it turns over slowly or it cranks for ever, but eventually started?

I would agree, don't go chasing parts. The FICM has absolutely nothing to do with low ICP, so what is different? The ICP for one thing. So, what is the IPR doing? I assumed it was good as you only reported low ICP. Of course, the IPR is only telling you what it thinks it is doing, not what it is actually doing. So you are back to checking for codes, and then back to diagnosing. If the IPR is at least 44% you should have 1500psi ICP and a start. If the ICP sensor was bad (telling the PCM to open the IPR due to a false high reading), you unplug it to give a PCM stored 1.2v (800PSI) signal to set the IPR closed enough to start.

If that doesn't work, then you suspect the IPR or the HPO system. This is why you check it with air. It is a simple an inexpensive test to find a leak (o-ring or fitting), bad IPR or associated wiring, or a bad pump. Who knows, it could be as simple as a wire or an o-ring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.