07 6.0 bucking/jerking when towing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
07 6.0 bucking/jerking when towing

Hi everyone, i am new to this forum and somewhat new to being a diesel owner and had a question about something that happened over the weekend with my truck.

Over the weekend i was pulling my boat to a location about 2 hours away. The boat weighs about 10,000lbs and i am running a towing tune from innovative diesel. My truck also has an SCT Tuner, EGR delete and 4" turbo back straight pipe exhaust. When i would be in 4th gear around 2100-2400RPM and 50-60MPH my truck would start to buck/jerk when i would try and hold that speed with mid to light throttle. If i would let off the throttle or power through into the next gear the bucking would go away. It only happens in that one gear. All my guages look normal and nothing seems wrong with the truck. I don't recall the truck doing this when it was stock and experienced the jerking feeling with both the towing tune that came with the SCT Tuner and innovative diesels towing tune. Not sure if there is something going on in the transmission or with my engine and why it would only happen in that one gear. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2013, 10:54 PM

not to sure without being in the truck but just throwing this out there, could be because your axles are wraping just a thought what i mean by wraping is that your axles will go up and down, back and forth are all fine but sometimes when pulling youll get your axles to where they will be going in a roatation movement which is what causes a feeling of a bucking or jerking, just a thought not an expert or anything
Old 06-12-2013, 06:25 AM
Premium Member

I feel like that would cause more of a vibration than a surging/back and forth jerking motion in the truck and would possibly be seen in all gears instead of one. I wasn't sure if maybe the torque converter was doing something funny and causing the rotation in the transmisson to be off causing this feeling. Almost like it can't decide if it wants to lock up or unlock.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:33 PM

well when your axle is twisiting like that it feels like the truck is hopping, does it always just do it in that one gear??? or just every once and a while??? You use the tow/haul button??? if so try taking it off and see if it does it still the that gear. just trying to help you trouble shoot the problem. cuz if its doing it with the tow/haul button on but not with it off it could be a computer problem..
Old 06-15-2013, 08:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

that would be the first i've ever herd of that but is possibble.most of the time when it bucks and jerks it's injector related.i have seen injector's miss a idle but not wide open.when this happens usually stickion of the spool valve or injector needs to be taken
out and cleaned and also the injector coil could be breaking down.

the point is once an injector misses it will not do it constantly i have found these 6.0's are some strange creatures that's for sure please let us know what you fine.

Last edited by fatbastardf350; 06-15-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:15 PM

Hmmm If it was an injector issue wouldn't it be throwing a code tho??
Old 06-15-2013, 01:35 PM
Premium Member

The code only happens if the miss is electrical or large enough for it to be detected by the crank sensor. Even some FICM low voltage misfires are not coded until they get too low or last over x amount of time. Since you are usually cruising at relatively low RPM, you could drop an injector intermittently and not know it unless you had a load on it like a trailer.

If you do a search you might also find a transmission issue that would show up as a buck. I believe it was related to T/C lock-up and AP sensitivity.

Axle wrap only happens under heavy load, but could become harmonic with the driver's inputs.

Quote:
005-07 Bucking/Jerking when Towing:
Trucks that exhibit a bucking/jerking sensation at steady speeds in tow/haul when towing large/heavy gooseneck trailers that typically goes away when the accelerator is completely released or depressed fully, and does not occur when using the cruise control, may be caused by movement of the driver's foot after hitting a bump in the road or transmission up-shift in combination with the particular trailer load. There is a revised computer program to make the computer less sensitive to minute accelerator pedal inputs. If reprogramming does not resolve the issue, the problem may be due to the hitch, the trailer or the loading of the trailer. TSB #07-6-9.

Vibration/Hop at 40-48 MPH, Trucks with Trailer Hitch:
Some 2005-07 F-Super Duty trucks with long wheel base (over 156") may exhibit what is described as a hop on smooth or coarse road surfaces. Although Ford considers this to be characteristic of trucks with a GVW of over 8500 pounds, some drivers may be more sensitive to the condition. There is a damper kit (P/N 5C3Z-5D008-A) available to correct the hop under the described conditions. It will not correct shimmy, harsh ride or vibration after hitting bumps. TSB #07-5-11.
A couple of more items for bucking:

Quote:
Coking depositis can plug the EBP sensor tube, foul the EBP sensor, cause the EGR valve to stick open, block the EGR cooler, plug the MAP (boost) sensor hose, or cause the variable turbo vanes to stick open (no power/boost) or closed (excessive backpressure, black smoke, popping noise, bucking).
Old 06-15-2013, 01:38 PM

Good insight man!! Thanks
Old 06-16-2013, 01:21 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for all of the input! I have tried towing in tow/haul and also taking that off and the problem was still there. I haven't tried on cruise control because i have never been one to use cruise control when towing. One thing i wanted to do this weekend which i haven't had time to do yet is pull the camper i have which does weigh a little less than the boat and see if i can replicated the shake with that. And if i can replicate it with the towing tune on i am going to switch back to the stock tune and see if it happens when the truck is stock. If it doesn't happen when the truck is in a stock tune then it could be something with the towing tune or just maybe the transmission can't handle that little extra HP power over stock for some reason.

I also thought about the injectors but my FICM holds steady at 48.5 Volts and i am seeing normal ICP. The truck runs great and doesn't seem to have any injector problems. I need to just replicated the shake and watch the numbers more closely to see if they are fluctuating or not. I also guess its possible the vanes in my turbo could be sticking but i feel like all of that would cause the truck to do this more than just in one gear at one speed and RPM level
Old 06-16-2013, 03:50 PM
Premium Member

Update: I pulled my camper with the truck and did not experience the jerking problem. I tried to replicate it but could not. The camper weighs 7,000lbs compared to the boat which weighs 10,000lbs. I'm not sure if the extra weight of the boat is causing it or if the boat trailer just acts up at that speed. Either way I am going to keep trying to diagnose the problem to figure it out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.