6.0 starting funny, has codes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 07:12 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 starting funny, has codes

a friend of mine that I work with has a 2006 model 6.0. engine is stock. the problem he's having occurs when he first started up every morning it took so little bit and blows a pretty decent amount of black smoke. upon every other start up after this it starts fine doesn't load or chug and runs perfect. on the initial startup the low ping or choking only occurs for about a minute and then smooths out and goes away. He pulled codes and got cylinders 1 thru 8 all have the code that is something like cylinder is week or something to that effect. He cannot remember the code numbers but all 8 cylinders pulled the same code.he has put something similar to Rev x called arc oil In and change fuel filters and also has changed the oil, and pulled and clean his egr. I thought the problem could be his ficm but wasn't sure and told him I would post this here for you guys to help me diagnose it with him. the truck has just over 100,000 miles on it

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2013, 07:26 AM
Serving Our Country!

sounds like the FICM. You'll need to get voltage Key On/Engine off and During Running..should always stay around 48. If he doesn't have something to read it, you can do the test with a multimeter. There's a small plate with Torx bolts on top of the FICM, take that off and you'll have access to the pins..I'll have to try finding which pins they are again. I've done it before, but it was awhile ago.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:40 AM
Premium Member

This sounds exactly whats happening with my truck, I dont have a code reader. So i dont know about the code part... **** im scared now... Subscribed for more info.

Tom
Old 06-10-2013, 08:52 AM
Serving Our Country!

Found the procedure for you guys..relatively easy to do
How to check your FICM for proper voltage output.
(Perform this check when the engine is completely cold.)

Remove the two bolts that hold the coolant reservoir to the cowl and push the reservoir out of the way forward and to your right. You do not need to disconnect any of the hoses.

On top of the FICM is a small cover held on by two #20 Torx screws; remove these two screws and pry the cover off.

On 2003 and early 2004 trucks, you will see 7 screw heads under the cover. On 2004 and later trucks you will see 4 screws.

Take a multi-meter set on DC volts and connect the ground lead to battery negative, and with the key ON measure the voltage at the screw on your right—closest to the driver’s side fender. Do not let the probe short against the case! The voltage should be right at 48 volts. Anything between 47 and 49 is good.

Have an assistant cycle the key and measure the voltage during the initial key-on buzz test. Voltage should not drop below 46 volts.

Next measure the voltage while cranking the engine. If voltage stays at or above 45-46 volts, the FICM is fine. Abnormally low battery voltage can give a false low FICM voltage reading, so make sure your batteries are good.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

if your getting circuit low codes for cylinder 1-8 and a P0611 code for low FICM power then its FICM going bad.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:43 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Thanks guys. I will be checking voltage on his ficm this weekend. Can auto enginuity monitor ficm volts?

Edit...he came to me this morning abd told me yesterday it took several cranks to get it cranked. But he finally did get it to run. Said cranking was quick and no strain(batteries were replaced last year)

I'm leading towards the ficm at this point
Old 06-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Serving Our Country!

My understanding..AE can do anything with these trucks. Unfortunately I do not own one, so I don't know how to do it. My guess if its like any other tool..you'd have some sort of option for Livedata..but I might be completely off my rocker here.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:00 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Well I just bought a scan gauge ll from another member on here...I know I can set the pids to monitor ficm volts. Hoyer It gets here by Saturday. I bought it for my truck but it will come in handy for this job

Old 06-19-2013, 05:29 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Forgot to post up what my findings were...ficm voltage was 48.5 key on...cranking it dropped to 24 volts...New ficm is on the way from bulletproof diesel

Old 06-19-2013, 05:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

im not going to knock anything from bulletproof diesel because they make BA stuff, but you could have gone with ed at ficmrepair.com for cheaper, you should have also had a mild php tune loaded on it while it was out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.