Bad mechanic? Advice needed *long* - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad mechanic? Advice needed *long*

I've been having issue after issue with my 6.0L. I'm starting to think maybe it is my mechanic. Some upfront information, I live 3 hours away from my dad i am full time in college and full time work during the summer.

In December my father bought me my 6.0L as a Christmas present (stock). It was going to be a few weeks before I could come home to get so knowing the little information I knew about 6.0's I sent him an EGR delete and an Oil Cooler to get installed. He also took it to a Ford dealership to get looked at. My dad told me that the dealership was super impressed by the truck and that it ran great, that there was no problems found. Well....i stumbled upon this a little while ago. The report from the initial inspection.

I was under the impression that this was a good running 6.0L, as my dad told me there was no problems and it passed with a clean bill of health. My dad apparently didn't tell me the whole story . I came home to pick it up and it DID run great. I was beyond happy. No white smoke, no hard start, ran smooth, etc. The only thing I noticed that it blew cold air at idle, it wouldnt warm up until i hit 1,500 RPMs. Once I went under 1,500 RPMs it would blow cold again.

Anyways months go by I get an exhaust put on, an intake, and get an SCT, bluespring, and a programmer running a small custom tune. My heat problem persisted but I blew it off assuming it was the heater core. One day in Feb. I am checking my oil and I notice that there is coolant leaking on the driver's side. I call my dad and he tells me to bring it home. Since he is footing the bill he wants to use his mechanic. I had to wait 3 more weeks due to bring it home due to mid-terms. I brought it home around the end of March, by this time my fuel milage had decreased to an extreme of 5mpg (according to fulley).

We brought the truck to the mechanic. The initial report was that it was a radiator hose and a blocked heater core. Then they changed that story to a cracked bolt. Instead of lifting the cab like most shops they decided to pull the engine. After they tore down the engine I was told it had a cracked bolt BUT the engine was in good shape. Here is some pictures my dad sent me.

A week later my dad calls and tells me he stopped by and saw the engine all put back together and ready to be re-installed. The very next day I get a call saying that they have to rebuild the engine because it was worse than they thought. There was slight scorching on one of the cylinder walls, all the rods, rod bearings, pistons, etc were getting replaced. Picture of my block

At this point I want to talk to the mechanic. I want to know what exactly is going on. I had no idea what the real story was because I was getting told something different every week. Well the mechanic refused to talk to me because i was not the one paying for it, he obviously wasn't about to take me seriously. Since they were doing an engine over-haul I sent them stand pipe, dummy plugs, and STC fitting for them to install.

Apparently they took this as an insult on their handywork. According to them they had already planned on installing these preventative mods. How am i supposed to know when they wont talk to me?! Anyways a month later and the truck is ready to go and I have a bad feeling in my gut that something isn't right. I went with my dad to pick it up so they HAD to talk to me. They told me they installed all my mods, plus ARP studs and OEM gaskets. Here is the work order and the work summary.

I drive it back to my dads from the shop, soon as i park it and get out i notice a coolant leak coming from the passenger side . It drove perfect on the way back to the shop. Diagnosis is my sinister EGR bypass is leaking. So they replaced it with a BPD delete. I get in it and start to drive away, I instantly notice a hard vibration through the whole truck when i am at a stop or turn the wheel left even a little. I ended up leaving it at my dads for him to take to a different shop because i had work in the morning.

My dad takes it to a shop that mostly does suspension/frame work, thinking it might have been a bearing. Turns out my exhaust was rubbing against the frame in 2 places!! According to them it wasn't a lose or broken clamp, they had to physically bend my exhaust so it wouldn't rub anymore. So at this point I'm thinking what the heck did they do to my truck?! I realize the EGR is technically apart of the exhaust but what could cause the exhaust to shift that much?!

So, that brings us to today. My dad was driving the truck out to me this morning, we had plans to spend the day together. I get a call at 7am the first the my dad says is "I have bad news". The transmission took a crap. He said everything was fine then suddenly the truck starting shifting rough and making a loud banging sound. He pulled into a gas station and checked the transmission fluid. Turns out, there was none or atleast none on the stick. He filled it up with 4 quarts, but the damage was already done. He lost reverse and it was stuck in second. He loped it home to a transmission shop. Once he got it to the destination he climbed under my truck expecting to see a leak of some sort. It was bone dry, so no leak.

What the heck?! Does anyone else see anything wrong with this? Am I looking too much into it?! The truck's fluids were fine when i dropped the truck off. The truck was also fine when i dropped it off for them to fix the EGR, no vibrations nothing. Any advice would be great, it seems like one thing after another with this truck. I am worried that it is the mechanic taking advantage of my dad. They also tried to convince my father to buy a Wastegate for my VGT turbo....claiming that it will stop the turbo from shuddering that will essentially lead to the turbo from blowing up. Seems fishy right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 04:19 PM
Chug-a-lug!!!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
All that and they put the Ford gold coolant back in it?
Old 06-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colberjs View Post
All that and they put the Ford gold coolant back in it?
yep
Old 06-09-2013, 04:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like you need a real mechanic and not this hack job.
Take it to a real shop

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-18-2013, 08:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

any word on the trans? and yea.. i wouldve taken it somewhere else for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.