04 6.0 oil leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2006, 02:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 6.0 oil leak

Hello,
I bought a used 04 with the 6.0 stroke. Truck had 62k when I bought it. Now has 69k and started leaking oil. Looks like it is coming from the top rear section of the motor. The rear bolts on the exhaust manifolds get wet and the oil trails down and collects on the bottom of the bellhousing. I have heard several different scenerios. I was running the Diablo Sport program. I since put the stock program back into the truck. Has anyone ever heard of any problems associated with running a program and causing an oil leak? I drive the truck on the highway approx 80 miles a day to and fro work and the 100 hp setting really improved the fuel mileage. I never really ran the truck hard, just the occasional hard acceleration. The truck runs fine and there is no sign of any oil/water mixing or any smoke from the exaust. Any ideas would be appreaciated. I am bring the truck in next week to the local dealer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2006, 02:04 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbritton2 View Post
Hello,
I bought a used 04 with the 6.0 stroke. Truck had 62k when I bought it. Now has 69k and started leaking oil. Looks like it is coming from the top rear section of the motor. The rear bolts on the exhaust manifolds get wet and the oil trails down and collects on the bottom of the bellhousing.Any ideas would be appreaciated.
My bet is the O-ring on the HPOP.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hpop

Wolud the hpop o-ring leak all the time or only at temp?
Old 10-03-2006, 09:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Hello,
I bought a used 04 with the 6.0 stroke. Truck had 62k when I bought it. Now has 69k and started leaking oil. Looks like it is coming from the top rear section of the motor. The rear bolts on the exhaust manifolds get wet and the oil trails down and collects on the bottom of the bellhousing. I have heard several different scenerios. I was running the Diablo Sport program. I since put the stock program back into the truck. Has anyone ever heard of any problems associated with running a program and causing an oil leak? I drive the truck on the highway approx 80 miles a day to and fro work and the 100 hp setting really improved the fuel mileage. I never really ran the truck hard, just the occasional hard acceleration. The truck runs fine and there is no sign of any oil/water mixing or any smoke from the exaust. Any ideas would be appreaciated. I am bring the truck in next week to the local dealer.
I HAVE AN 04 IT WAS LEAKING OIL ON THE R/SIDE REAR TOP OF THE ENGINE AND RUNNING OFF THE BOTTOM OF THE REAR ENGINE HOUSING,IT TURNED OUT TO BE THE GLOW PLUG HARNESSES,FORD REPLACED THEM AND ALL IS WELL...
Old 10-03-2006, 10:23 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Wolud the hpop o-ring leak all the time or only at temp?
As soon as you fire it up and it pressurizes it should leak if thats what it is. Oil is more viscous when hot so it would make sense that it would leak faster when hot.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ICP Sensor leaking oil

Turns out the leak was caused by a leaking ICP sensor. It was replaced under factory warranty (minus $100 ded). This sensor was supposedly replaced at no charge by a Ford customer satisfaction program in earlier engines. Unfortunately mine fell out of the date to be replaced free.
There was also a recall done B 06E17B to reprogram PCM 3U7A12A650FTG.
Does anyone have any idea if this will affect the ability to run the Diablo Sport program? I need to put the program back in to get the fuel mileage back up. With the 100 hp program and Amsoil engine and differential lube I can get 21+ mpg. With the stock program I am getting 18. (Stock tune and Motorcraft oil was around 16.8 mpg)
Old 10-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Banned

the connector for the ICP was replaced under recall for certain vehicles, but the sensor wasnt......

No, the reprogram shouldnt affect the use of your programmer, BUT if i was you i would drive it for at least 2-600 miles to get some of the learned stratagy back into the processor before you tune it....otherwise you may not get maximum potential fuel economy
Old 12-07-2006, 04:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

04 6.0 Just Had the Cab Off

Just got my 2004 6.0 L King Ranch Back today, 3rd time on the oil leak. First time they couldnt cause the same problem to occur so they dismissed it. The second time I took it in it was the supposed glow plug harness, yeah not. Well now 6 months later she is a still a leaking just got it back from where they messed with the rear main seal, and im not real sure she aint gonna leak some more. Any body got any ideas on how the lemon laws work, this seems to be a problem that seriously needs to be addressed across the board.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to trhland
1800 lemonlaw. if you need them i used the for a 1999 f450 that i lemoned they were great did t cost me a penny. i think if you have 3 times the same prob you can lemon it or 20 different problems .all with in your factory warrentee
Old 12-09-2006, 07:18 PM

after the 3rd time they fianlly fixed mine after pulling the whole motor and replaceing thr crank carrier seal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.