Caliper number 3!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Caliper number 3!!

Well, since I'm sitting in a tires plus outside of Greenville GA waiting on my truck to have yet another caliper replaced I thought I'd share my thoughts.....

Halfway between home and North Carolina, on my way to spend some time with family, I get off I-85 to re-route around traffic. After a few lights I begin to smell that all too familiar smell. I think to myself.... No way,not now! My girl wouldn't let me down this far from home... Alas, she did, and this makes the third caliper that's being replaced since I bought her about 3 months ago. Annoyed at myself for not replacing this one when I replaced the second one that locked up on me several weeks ago. Annoyed that I have to pay someone else that's trying to convince me that I need an entire brake job in addition to replacing the caliper. Annoyed that I could have done this for less than $60 and now have to pay $129 and fight off the "upsell" from the tire place that now has my girl up in the air!!! I think my hair just got a little thinner to boot

The moral of this story?........

If you ever find yourself with a caliper locking up, Go ahead and replace the other 3 while your at it. It will cost you just over $200 bucks from your local auto parts store and you won't find yourself stuck in The middle of a 12+ hour drive cussing at yourself in the middle of a town you've never heard of searching for "brakes" on the map app of your iPhone.

The end

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

they dont just "go bad" like that, I'd check the boster and for dirty fluid...
Old 06-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

After the second one I completely flushed the lines. I think that the old fluid plus 126k miles lead to trash in the lines??? (Not a brake guy) I should have gone ahead and replaced the other 2 calipers at that time but I'd hoped that the flush would prevent further issues.

Lol obviously I thought wrong!!

What about the booster could be causing the issue? None of the new calipers have had any issues since I put them on.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:32 PM

Well hopefully the flush helped future issues

Brake fluid is Hydroponic and may have attracted water into the system

and caused your caliper issues

also bad rotors can be hard on calipers if they make them pulse rapidly and head up
Old 06-07-2013, 12:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm on my 3rd set of calipers on all 4 corners. I've replaced every flex line on the truck, flushed the brake fluid, regreased the slides, anti seize on the brake pad tabs/ears. All this and like clockwork every 30,000 miles the crap starts again. It's bad when the pads outlast the calipers.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've heard these trucks eat calipers. Wonder if an aftermarket solution is the answer? Hate to go spending $300 on a caliper but since I'm spending that right now cause I'm on the road it may be worth it in the long run.

Zmann, I was really careful not to introduce any water into the system when I did the flush. Made sure to do it on a nice dry day etc. I can't feel any kind of pulsing in the brakes that would indicate a bad rotor. Even the 2 that have been done by the dealer and now this place (still waiting btw) confirmed the rotors are in good shape. Not disputing any of the things you mentioned though. I'll keep it in mind moving forward.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
CHANGE THE MASTER CYLINDER. Its got leak by in the valve body from the back to front chamber and its not letting the pressure completely bleed off. FWIW it will do it intermittently so you that's why it seems like you will have it fixed when you change calipers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-07-2013, 01:09 PM

I was saying your old fluid may have been contaminated

not your flushed fluid

if it makes you feel better I am on my stock calipers at 95,000
Old 06-07-2013, 01:17 PM
Premium Member

Damn! Sorry to hear about your problem, Glad you got it fixed tho. Atleast for now.

Tom
Old 06-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
if it makes you feel better I am on my stock calipers at 95,000

Lol strangely... It does not!!

And it continues here at the tire place.. The got the caliper for the left rear because of the rear mount vs. front mount caliper thing some of these trucks have. Wonder what option puts the calipers on the front side of the axle? This was an issue when I did the other rear cal.

Still another 6 hours on the road to look forward too after I get out of here. Oh joy!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.