white crud on degas bottle!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 01:55 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
white crud on degas bottle!!!

Ok gonna start from beginning....bought an '03 6.0 with 26k on it, bout a month and a half ago. Test drive went great, took it for long drive up some big hills and stuff (kinda getting into it) went fine. Truck was immaculate top to bottom, no leaks nothing u could see from outside. About 2 weeks into owning it let my cousin drive it (never let anyone drive my things) and I was in passenger seat he put his foot into it and truck down shifted and started skipping (about 50 mph, 2250rpm) we instantly stopped the truck I let it sit idling for a few then went strait home called Ford and made an appointment. I didn't buy it from them but wanted pro opinion before the dealership tried scaming me. They said icp sensor and pigtail. Back to dealership with Ford diagnostics they said no problem we'll fix it. Left the truck there. Drove by the ford shop the next day and my truck was parked on a wrecker in front of it!!! The dealership just towed it to ford to fix...ok fine with me. Get it back, don't say I knew what they did and drove home. Truck felt good for a few days then same thing happened...started skipping going up a hill it down shifted and started doing it again. I slowed down it went away. Called ford told them I knew they fixed it and it happened again,they said they reflashed it and it takes about 100 miles to rewrite itself. I had put 250 on it!!! He said give it some time if keeps happening bring it back.I asked if he drove it he said no!! Angry(and knowing still under warranty)I Hung up with him and went about my week. nothing again for about a week now there's white res on my degas bottle and the trucks shifting hard from 2-3 and clunks when it downshifts. The skipping only happens once and awhile but the combo of everything scares me. I have a warranty on it from the dealership and they are prolly gonna send it back to the Ford place. I'm worried these guys are in kahoots and gonna take me for a ride until my warranties expired and I gotta pay for head studs. Is that what its gonna be??? Anybody have issues like this?? Sorry about the long write up try to give as much info as possible(and vent some)...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

#1 thing you gotta do first is get a monitor on your truck. The white crud on the degas bottle is not good. Gotta get proactive on this before things go real bad. I know this doesn't answer your questions but I got a feeling you got more going on than you know.
Read-monitoring the 6.0 in the 6.0 general stickies.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:26 PM

It's going in Thursday...new to owning a diesel didn't realize things were so finiky and had to be watched that much...with the miles on it and condition its in, sucks
Old 06-03-2013, 03:19 PM

Could it be the hpop?? Would that cause coolant expansion?? Also just crawled from under it saw a slight oil leak around where trans meets transfer case...not horrible but wet
Old 06-03-2013, 04:40 PM
Premium Member

Most of our 6.0's have that leak on the back of the engine/front of the transmission. 03 HPOP's do get weak and fail, the symptoms are the engine wont rev over say 2500 rpms. The ICP drops to 500 and less, the IPR goes to a high reading of 85% when hot at idle. When it fails all together, you get a cold/hot no start. The ICP sensor has to read 500 psi for the engine to even start. Now, the fact that your degas bottle has "puked", could be a couple of issues, failing egr cooler, weak degas bottle cap, and leaking headgaskets. The skipping could be caused by a failing FICM, the Main FICM voltage should be 48volts, never dropping below 46volts. The FICM logic circuits should around 13.0(someone correct me if I'm wrong), and never drop below 11 volts. Reiterating what
kinnisoj said, getting a scangauge, torque app, etc to monitor the systems/sensors in these trucks is an absolute must do. The truck can tell you whats happening and whats wrong if you just monitor the systems.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:55 PM

Yeah that's gonna be the first thing I get (after the $12 cap of course) and u said the ficm for the skipping huh I just wanna have a list of stuff for these guys to check so they don't pull a fast one and just throw a cap on it
Old 06-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Premium Member

Get that monitoring device of your choice and you'll know pretty close to what they know, and in some cases more.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:03 PM

Money trees still in seed form haha just got this new truck a couple a months ago they should sell monitors with them haha
Old 06-03-2013, 05:11 PM

If FORD would of put a actual monitoring system in these truck the history of the 6.0 would be totally different. IMO most of the issues/blame with these truck can fall in the hands of the owners that didn't know any better or just didn't care. I bought my boss a scanguage II for Christmas (he has a 2003 f250). He has yet to hook it up. Ive told him all of the issues but he wont even take 5 minutes to look at how the truck is doing. But the day that the 6.0 gives out he will spend hours bad mouthing what a piece of junk it is and that all the hype he heard was spot on.....
Old 06-03-2013, 06:00 PM

Have the dealer check for leaking head gaskets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.