'04 f250 misfire, and more - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 10:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'04 f250 misfire, and more

Hey guys new powerstroke owner, and before everyone jumps me, yes I did search. Alot. And found alot of people having similar issues but nothing exactly like mine.

Anywho it's an 04 f250, 183k miles on it and it is bone stock. Bought it real cheap needing "motor work" and I was happy it had no rust anywhere and has almost no body damage. I must say it is a previous flood truck at some point in its life. I don't think it was in that deep of water being there's no visible water damage anywhere (father in law works for a rebuilder and even he couldn't find a water line)

The truck runs and drives, it had a misfire tho. A friend of mine works on 6ohs so I have him do the work on it for me. It comes up with cylinder 8 imbalance. Changed the injector out with a new ford one he had at work, and it didn't change. Still missing #8. He changed the oil (I never thought of checking it) and pulls out 22 quarts of thinner than 15w40 oil but it did NOT have water in it. It definetly runs better but still misses. New batteries, changed out ficm and ecu and it pulled the valve cover and watched the valves move, they all function as they should and return to the same height (like not bent valve train). It does build some pressure in the cooling system, but a huge amount. All 8 injectors buzz the same when you do a buzz test, and when you shut each cylinder down in the scan tool 7 of them make it shake like crazy when shut off and when you turn #8 off it BARELY makes a difference in rpm. I thought a piston could be broken but there is no blow by out of the breather.

Oh, and it cranks over fast. Like, very fast. It's a smooth fast not a choppy one cylinder easier fast. But it's alot faster than any other 6oh I have heard. So I start it, it misses. Put it in gear and throttle it to move and it shudders until about 2500rpm and it smoothes out. It smokes gray like a train, and the turbo surges like crazy. When it gets a hard load on it it surges reaaally bad and the engine bucks with the surges. Now, at idle, I have the intake off (open turbo) and it makes a funny noise out of the turbo, I assumed because it is missing a cylinder it's not getting fed steady. Use the scan tool and open the vgt all the way, it goes away.

Sorry it's a book. I can't take videos, the intake is off for the egr delete I got for it. I was leaning toward needing a head gasket. I'm just baffled at changing so much and getting no change. I thought low compression on #8 but it doesn't have blow by and only a small increase in coolant pressure. I am lost guys :/ any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.