White Smoke Hard Start 1st time diesel owner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 04:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
White Smoke Hard Start 1st time diesel owner

Hey Guys, I'm new to the forums and new to the diesel world. I was recently given my dad's 03 F-350 with the single rear wheel axle and the 6.0. It has 223,000 miles on the odo. The truck has had problems since the day I got it and it has not gotten much better. The truck has been poorly maintained and basically ignored for the past couple of years. The speedo doesnt work and the abs light is on. I think its the rear ABS sensor, so i am just waiting on the part to replace it. The truck has been hard starting and blowing white smoke at startup but it clears up after the truck is warm. When it starts it barely does and starts at very low RPMs and then "winds up" to idling RPMs. It also is running badly at highway speeds. The truck had a leak from an O-ring on the fuel pressure regulator. I replaced the O-ring and replaced the stock spring with the upgraded blue spring. The truck runs a little better but it still is having issues. I also changed the oil, oil filters, fuel filters and cleaned the EGR valve. The truck isn't losing water and the intake looked dry but very dirty. I've got two bottles of Rev-X oil treatment on the way and I'm hoping that clears up my issues. Does anybody have any suggestions before I bring it to a shop and have to spend money that I really don't have right now? And is the truck okay to drive for a few weeks? Thanks in advance, I have learned so much already from you guys by just looking in the forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 04:47 PM
Premium Member

White smoke indicates you could be burning coolant... Possibly a EGR failure or head gaskets... Id check your EGR valve first!!

Tom
Old 05-24-2013, 02:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'll do a pressure test today then. Here's a video of this morning's cold start

Last edited by Shimano; 05-24-2013 at 03:27 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:53 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You need a monitor, without one, you stand to waste alot of money. Sounds like you may have bad batteries and ficm.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-30-2013, 08:43 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Possible bad batteries but most likely your FICM is going. Mine started having low FICM voltage on start up, white smoke, throwing injector code (guessing the FICM was causing an injector to stick) put rev x in it, white smoke went away and no more injector code but my FICM is still going out, new one should be here tomorrow. Bottom line is you need to get a monitor, edge CTS is the way to go. Without a monitor its basically the blind leading the blind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.