Crank, No Start, +First Thread - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 06:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to AndyA Send a message via Yahoo to AndyA
Question Crank, No Start, +First Thread

Not sure if I have ever posted on here but I have been lurking since before I bought my first diesel. Many thanks to all of you as the information here is invaluable.

About three years ago I had to have my truck towed in for a crank, no start condition. Basically started fine in the morning, drove to work and parked. Came out for lunch and an errand. Once I stopped, wouldn't fire. Just so happened to be buying two new batteries at the time. Dealer replaced the STC fitting and I believe that was about it. Got the extended warranty on it so it was all covered. Everything was happy again.

A few weeks ago I had the same thing happen. Except this time, hot / cold didn't matter. Wouldn't start. Code reader showed insufficient injector control pressure (I cleared the codes and didn't write them down else I would state exactly which ones). I was a tech for Acura when I was in college so I am not afraid to jump in but I must admit, it's a little daunting. But I researched here and in about a day and a half of working by myself, cleaning all the parts, and running to the ford house, I disassembled everything and got it all back together.

I put together a google picture library of all the shots I took going in and out.
https://plus.google.com/photos/11243...CM75-_Dzi6_0Kw

Basically I went straight for the HPOP and STC fittings. While I was in there, I cleaned the intake, flushed the EGR cooler, and replaced the oil cooler as it is often suspect for killing things. Also cleaned everything I took out to make searching for leaks in the future easier.

My next step is to finish the oil change and flush / fill the coolant. Still concerned about the dummy plugs and stand pipes. That would be my next items to look at / update. What I thought was weird was that I had changed my oil about 4K ago and it was just horribly dirty. Usually doesn't get that black. And there was a large amount of oil coming through the CCV tube.

Back story on the truck. It's an 05 I bought it in 09 with 34K on it. I baby this thing and it's really my toy and not a daily driver. It now has 89K on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 06:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update...

Put oil and coolant in her but the batteries are dead. On the charger now. Can't wait to see what she does.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

man you should have replaced the standpipes and dummy plugs while you were there. Usually the HPOP dosnt go out in the 05-07 trucks
Old 05-22-2013, 07:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
i think your first problem is that i see you play Selena Gomez while in your truck.. your truck just may not wanna work for you while you listen to her! lol jk.. check your ICP pressure when cranking and the IRP %.. if the IRP is at like 85% or some high number and your ICP is at a low pressure then you most likely got a leak.. and try unplugging the ICP and seeing if it starts.. that could be a bad ICP.. just throwing some ideas out there
Old 05-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hahaha

JTaylor,
I really want to do them next but i thought they were under the valve covers. I was saving those for another day. Even if they turn out to be the problem or not, they will still be swapped out soon. It makes me nervous that there are all these update parts that i don't have installed. It was updated for a reason IMO. I had the same thought on the HPOP for a 05.

Kendall,
Took that pic to show the stereo but hey, I love me some Selena. I did try the ICP unplug trick and it didn't work.

Just cause it was an easy next step, I did the FICM test. 48 VDC on the screw while the key was on. As soon as i start cranking, drops to 36 for a couple seconds then falls to 17 where it stays until i cycle the key. So i pulled the FICM and found one SMD resistor blown and another suspicious looking one.

Ordered parts from Mouser. Should be here tomorrow. Already used the reworking station to remove the coating stuff and two resistors. Sitting on my desk waiting for parts now. Will keep you guys informed.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Resistors arrived and installed. Plus reflowed the capacitor connections. As soon as i get home I'm throwing this thing in.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Put it in and she fired right up.

Now, i did something funny cause now i have what sounds like a vacuum leak. Also smells like exhaust. Most likely one of the clamps isnt on tight enough on the exhaust side of the turbo. Will check it in the morning. Dont want the neighbors complaining about diag going down in the middle of the night.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Question

Pretty severe exhaust leak on the y-pipe clamp. Read some stuff about assembly and some suggestions about doing the clamps first with antisieze. Redid it yesterday and it made getting the pedistal bolts in nearly impossible. Leak is better but still pretty severe. Gonna try and crack the manifold bolts next to see if that helps.

Could the clamp be installed backwards? Does it have a side to it?
Old 05-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Smile

Loosened everything again including the pedestal mount. Tried the ratchet strap trick but it was off side to side and not necessarily in line. Used a pry bar to move it in place and the clamp worked like a charm. Did the y-pipe clamp first, then the turbo mounts, then the pedestal, and lastly the downpipe.

No more exhaust leak. Runs good now. Took it for a test drive and it was all good...except when i blew off the CAC boot. Held to about 20+ lbs. Have heard people talk about it being a scary sound but i had no idea. lol. Came off twice more trying to limp home.

Ordered Riffraff boots when i got back. Also going to do the CCV filter asap.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Talking

Finally got the boots on. Seems to be a slight size difference but it all bolts up properlly. Runs really good now....

Except now my oil pressure switch is going in and out. Looks like its leaking through the connector as it is soaked internally. Picked up a new one and will installing it today. Guess i should have listened to the warnings saying not to get any cleaning solvents on it when i did the oil cooler replacement.

Also picked up the stuff for my CCV bypass but after reading more into it, i am afraid to do it for fear what a kinked hose could do to a head.

Last edited by AndyA; 06-17-2013 at 09:16 AM. Reason: image.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
egr cooler, hpop, no start, oil cooler, stc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.