cluncking noise when driving on rough roads - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 05:32 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
cluncking noise when driving on rough roads

Hello again,
Everyone I have another question about my 2004 f350. Whenever I drive down any rough gravel roads I can always hear (and generally feel) something making a clunking noise coming from somewhere under my feet. At first I thought that something in the suspension was maybe missing a rubber grommet but I could not find and obvious problems when I looked. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2013, 04:26 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yes, I had this problem on my 04 f350. It is more than likely the sway bar and end link bushings worn out. Check out energy suspension they make a polyurethane bushing kit that is pretty cheap and easy to install. The knock/clunk went away as soon as I replaced mine. If you put a wrench on the lower end link and can move the sway bar up and down a fair amount it's time for bushings!
Old 05-16-2013, 05:12 PM
Premium Member

I am not sure if this is exactly what you're talking about but when I crawled under the pickup today I noticed that I could move this bar (marked by the red arrow) fairly easily back and forth. Is this the piece that would probably need new bushings?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
cluncking noise when driving on rough roads-sway-bar-3.jpg   cluncking noise when driving on rough roads-sway-bar-4.jpg  
Old 05-16-2013, 06:35 PM

Actually the one I was referring to was the sway bar behind the front axle toward the center of the truck. I believe what's in your photos is the track bar maybe. But it should also be fairly tight and no slop. I haven't done anything on that bar myself as far as bushings but if I'm not mistaken track bar is more relative to steering/handling. The sway bar would create the bang or clunk noise during the suspension action.

Check the bar behind the front axle and the two dogbone links on the end of it for slop and go from there. Maybe someone with a better understanding of the front end on these trucks will chime in for you. I'm just suggesting what had worked for me! Good luck.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobD981 View Post
Actually the one I was referring to was the sway bar behind the front axle toward the center of the truck. I believe what's in your photos is the track bar maybe. But it should also be fairly tight and no slop. I haven't done anything on that bar myself as far as bushings but if I'm not mistaken track bar is more relative to steering/handling. The sway bar would create the bang or clunk noise during the suspension action.

Check the bar behind the front axle and the two dogbone links on the end of it for slop and go from there. Maybe someone with a better understanding of the front end on these trucks will chime in for you. I'm just suggesting what had worked for me! Good luck.
I agree, check the sway bar bushings and end links with the truck parked on level ground with the wheels straight.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-17-2013, 07:37 PM
Premium Member

I crawled under my pickup again today and found the sway bar this time. I was able to rotate the end links that run vertically from the sway bar each back and fourth with one hand. ( I tried to take a video but it wouldn't upload to this website) If I do buy new bushings for the end links should I also buy some new bushings for the track rod also? I found each set on Amazon so it would make sense to combine shipping.
Attached Thumbnails
cluncking noise when driving on rough roads-sb1.jpg   cluncking noise when driving on rough roads-sb4.jpg   cluncking noise when driving on rough roads-sb5.jpg  

Last edited by Ford_Fan1; 05-17-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:13 AM
Premium Member

Your last picture shows that it is worn out. With a bit more flex that would clunk. Anytime you have side to side or outward to the thread movement in a steering or suspension part it needs replacing. If your steering link just rolls, that is OK.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:50 AM

You can buy a sway bar/end link bushing set direct from energy suspension. You can also buy complete end links from them. They have many options available just google them. I'm happy with mine, install wasn't bad but you will need a press to remove the old end link bushings.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had this problem with my '04 F350. I found the rubber bushings where the sway bare is mounted to the back of the front axle were wore out. I replaced these and the clunk in my truck went away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.