Loss of Coolant - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 06:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Loss of Coolant

Hi all,

Well I have a bad feeling that my worst nightmare is about to become reality. It seems like my engine is burning through coolant. I opened up (what I think is, I'm not very savvy with mechanical terminology) the degas bottle and there's no coolant in there right now. Where the heck could it have gone?! It's also pretty dirty in there...

First of all, I just had 3 gallons added to it on Friday. I noticed a few droplets outside of the cap, but not spewing out like I've heard it does. (See pic) There's no white residue around the degas bottle.

While I've got your attention, when I bought the truck and I was told it was bulletproofed (or rather they said "The big 3 problems have been fixed). I honestly didn't really know what to look for, but I read something about a 12 or 16-point hex bolt or nut (or whatever you call them, like I said I'm not very savvy with terminology) and that would indicate ARP head studs. I found something that represents that (see pic) but I've only been told you can see studs from under the truck. I see this almost below the degas bottle on the engine. Is this a head stud?

I'm just turning 18 years old. This is my truck and I have a 250$/month payment on this thing. I work at Texas Roadhouse for god sake. I absolutely cannot afford to stud and delete this thing. Is this just a minor issue? Or should this thing be going on craigslist to get sold before I have to deal with the problems?

And when I say I cannot afford to fix it, I actually mean that. Don't tell me to buy the parts and do it myself. I can't even afford the parts. And no, I do not have access to a OBD II monitor and cannot afford to buy one right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 06:34 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Get a tester kit for exhaust gases in your coolant. Most auto parts will carry it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-14-2013, 04:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

to answer the other part of your question yes that is a stud
Old 05-14-2013, 04:45 AM
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!

Well, it look like whoever did the stud job didn't know the 6.0 very well.

First off, you have the wrong type of coolant in your truck.

You won't see any white residue with that green coolant, but you can see it all over in your picture.

Second, there is an aftermarket oil filter and cap on there.

Get that changed with a factory filter cap and filter soon or your injectors could be failing shortly due to inproperly filtered oil.

So I'm guessing there is one of a few scenarios; They used Black Onyx headgaskets, (which fail shortly after install) when the did the stud job, or they didn't get the heads properly machined or checked for cracks before putting it back together.

Do you know if the EGR Cooler has been deleted?
Old 05-14-2013, 06:21 AM
Premium Member

GOOD catch on that non-Ford oil filter cap!!

Sticks out like a sore thumb. LOL

Old 05-14-2013, 06:23 AM
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Term3 View Post
GOOD catch on that non-Ford oil filter cap!!

Sticks out like a sore thumb. LOL

You learn to spot them real quick when it cost me an injector!
Old 05-14-2013, 06:36 AM
Premium Member

Once he figured out that he has bad HGs then he can read up on doing a proper Restore and Restore+ coolant flush followed by a good quality ELC CAT type coolant. (If he's lucky it'll just be the EGR cooler)

Old 05-14-2013, 09:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Makes sense about the oil filter/cap. I bought it from a jeep dealership in PA, and because there was no sticker from the last oil change I wanted one done to be safe. Figures they couldn't go to autozone and get the right filter for me.

And secondly, I was told there was an EGR delete from the dealer. How can I find out? When put up to an OBD II scanner it said something like "No EGR found".

As for the coolant, it is green. I had that added when I had my serpentine belt and tensioner replaced on friday. (Hell, if they threw the wrong coolant in there, lets hope this thing blows up so I can get a new engine from them haha)

And finally, I went and purchased a new coolant cap. While there was already an aftermarket cap on there, I noticed that the spring on the one that was on there was all messed up. It was off to the side not even connected to anything. On the new one the spring was perfectly straight up and down and connected to the cap. Maybe I'm being optimistic but hopefully the cap wasn't holding enough pressure and my coolant was boiling away (which I know isn't good, but a lot better than HG) and dripping out.

Like I said it was just a few drops of coolant here and there. I'm gonna clean up the reservoir and drive it to work tonight and see if there's still any coolant coming out.

Another note is when I had them put coolant in it, I specifically stated that it needed a CAT type coolant and their reply was "Shouldn't be a problem".
Old 05-14-2013, 11:26 AM
Premium Member

Good Reading

Side effect of disconnecting EGR valve

Tech Info

Powerstroke Books

Powerstroke Info

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.