Water boiling in degas bottle. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 03:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Water boiling in degas bottle.

I'm hyper sensitive about anything out of normal with my engine and yesterday I was flushing the coolant out of my truck, after I drained the restore and refilled with water to flush out the rest of the restore. I ran it at a high idle maybe 1500 rpm for about 15 minutes and then shut it off to drain the water. I went to open the degas cap and noticed as I started opening the water began to boil. Is that normal or a symptom of a problem with my coolers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 05:20 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If its plain water, yes. The cap allows the cooling system to build pressure and the higher the pressure the higher the boiling point of the coolant. So once you relieved the pressure on the cooling system you dropped the coolant boiling point and you saw it start to boil. If you had a 50/50, or what I use, 60/40 glycol mix the boiling point would be much higher and you shouldn't see boiling when you released the pressure.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-13-2013, 05:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

It depends... Straight water will boil at 212 F at atmospheric pressure. How much coolant was still in the system? If straight water, it could have been localized boiling in the block or heads if the engine was hot. Parts of the heads may be greater than the average engine temperature and cause localized boiling.

How hot was your engine?

Depending on where you live, it will boil at a lower temperture (here in Colorado Springs straight water will boil at 199F - 6,300' elevation).

MikeB
Old 05-13-2013, 06:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It was straight water and I'm at sea level so you're probably right. I dont' know how hot it was but it had been at a high idle for at least 20 minutes and it only boiled when I started to release the pressure by removing the cap, if I tightened it back down it stopped. Sorry for the stupid question but it just made me nervous knowing that one of the symptoms of EGR issues is the degas puking coolant.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:27 AM
Premium Member

It may not have been boiling, but possible. When you start to removed the cap the hoses will flex back to normal size, pushing water and sometimes air pockets (you said you were doing a flush) to the degas bottle. That can be similar to boil or gurgle. Now, flash boil is possible from localized heat in the EGR cooler (most likely) or the heads (least likely) if you didn't let it run at low idle for a few minutes. Most often the flash boil requires higher load and heat parameters.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:31 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by calveryc View Post
Sorry for the stupid question
There are no stupid questions, just stupid or rude answers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.