6.0 skipping and missing at low rpm - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 05:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 skipping and missing at low rpm

hey guys, wanted to pick your brains if you dont mind. I've done alot of reading up on here and just can't make my mind up.

my truck is a 04 6.0 with 200k. I just bought it a couple months ago at a pretty decent deal. I've straight piped it and added a 75hp program after the skipping started hoping it may cure it , no go . It started only while cold and once warm it would quit. Now it pretty much skips at any temp. Its does it the worse when im in 5th gear (automatic) and normally cruising round 55 . It will buck and jump little at certain rpm or where i hold the peddle. I can let off or mash it little harder and it will stop.

I took it to friend of mine whoes a decent mechanic but no 6.0 expert. we hooked it to his snap on monitor and ran test after test, killed each injector one by one. Nothing. No codes, No bad injector readings. What we thought was odd is that the Ipr Valve never moved above 25 on his machine when revved up. He could manually turn it up, 30,35,40,45 and so on and the truck was going nuts. we could turn it back to 25 and rev it up and it would stay on 25. does this sound like it could be my issue or something else?
I tried revv -x . It cured it for a day. 66 bucks wasted. I use lucas injector cleaner and diesel clean in different intervals with no success. Schaeffer Oil is what im running.

Thanks for any info someone may have
Attached Thumbnails
6.0 skipping and missing at low rpm-479003_2975489962229_1105712023_o.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Your ipr reading is just a duty cycle. What your seeing on the monitor is what the pcm is telling it so your ipr may be sticking and not allowing enough oil pressure to hit the injectores. If by skipping you mean something like a missfire, you need to check ipc actual vs icp desired, you already run rev-x which will help the injectors, and depending on the tune you are running, look into getting your pcm flashed with the most current ford flash. I slapped a sct on my truck and put it on the performance tune (supposed to be 150hp) and it would spit and sputter and miss so bad under load you thought the thing was gonna fall apart, took it to a mechanic to get the latest flash, mashed it to the floor and it cleared right up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-12-2013, 04:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the info man.Im sure its needs the flash. Its a one owner truck that some older folks pulled a bumper hitch camper with . Its was completly stock .I gotta feeling they just drove it and serviced it regularly . Its super clean. The truck finally threw some codes today on my programmer. It saying P0272 Cylinder 4 Contribution/Balance and p1000 obd II i believe
Old 05-13-2013, 07:46 PM

Hey sweet find! my last dodge gasser was like that... 11 years old with 50k owned by an old retired man. i got a hold of it and blew all the carbon right into the cat and clogged it. Yep your injectors are on there way out... Cylinder contribution could be a bent pushrod or a bad injector, i ran t6 synthetic and revx and the cyl contribution went away, ran smoother etc. ive held off replacing injectors for almost 20k now... I get horrible gas mileage but its better then a 2-3k dollar repair. P1000 is obd readiness/ cycle not complete. Just keep driving it and it will relearn your engine/ driving habbits then go away. The ipr valve staying at 25 is weird though. Whats your icp desired vs actual during all of this?

Old 05-14-2013, 08:00 AM

Check your fuel filters, use only motorcraft, might not be getting enough fuel

Old 05-14-2013, 05:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroking1982 View Post
hey guys, wanted to pick your brains if you dont mind. I've done alot of reading up on here and just can't make my mind up.

my truck is a 04 6.0 with 200k. I just bought it a couple months ago at a pretty decent deal. I've straight piped it and added a 75hp program after the skipping started hoping it may cure it , no go . It started only while cold and once warm it would quit. Now it pretty much skips at any temp. Its does it the worse when im in 5th gear (automatic) and normally cruising round 55 . It will buck and jump little at certain rpm or where i hold the peddle. I can let off or mash it little harder and it will stop.

I took it to friend of mine whoes a decent mechanic but no 6.0 expert. we hooked it to his snap on monitor and ran test after test, killed each injector one by one. Nothing. No codes, No bad injector readings. What we thought was odd is that the Ipr Valve never moved above 25 on his machine when revved up. He could manually turn it up, 30,35,40,45 and so on and the truck was going nuts. we could turn it back to 25 and rev it up and it would stay on 25. does this sound like it could be my issue or something else?
I tried revv -x . It cured it for a day. 66 bucks wasted. I use lucas injector cleaner and diesel clean in different intervals with no success. Schaeffer Oil is what im running.

Thanks for any info someone may have
im going to help you out here buddy I just picked my 04 6.0 up from the shop today, it was skipping, and skipping bad when your in last gear does the truck shake real bad, I actually have been though this a couple of times, the first 2 times it were bad injectors,, this go around I had 2 broken rocker arms and 2 bent push rods, what happened is my wiring going to my vgt short circuited and I guess I gave it to much fuel to compensate for it and went into a over ref situation , both rocker arms snapped and 2 push rods bent, and they all were on the same cylinder, im not saying you have a broken rocker arm, im just going to give you a run down on what it could be, bad injector or injectors, either on the mechanical side or electric side, lets hope it's just bad injectors, broken rocker arms, bent push rods this isn't a major repair if that's your issue, worst case scenario is a bent valve or bad piston or rings, i have a question for you do you have any kind of noises at idol when you turn your steering wheel or press the brake petal hard i can't stress this to you enough don't drive it skipping because your going to end up causing damage to your truck, im no diesel mechanic , but i know one of the best around, and we have been though a lot together when it comes to my truck, get your truck checked out asap, i hope its just a minor issue for you, and some times injectors can go in or out which cylinder is skipping, what codes are in the truck,, i will help you anyway that i can, because i know the frustration that comes with your truck no running right have been their time and time again, if you eliminated the injectors, then you problem lays within the motor, if you have a cylinder skipping their will be a code, is their any white smoke , you need to get a buzz test done on them injectors, if your located in nc,, i can recommend the best mechanic around,, everything that i have listed will give a contribution code, stop driving your truck until you fix buddy i would hate to see another 6.0 engine go down, it is possiable your hpop is going bad, but that also will give a contribution code, let me know how things turn out, ohh yeah when my ipr started going bad, the truck was hard to start and they was no skipping at all, and when it went completely out the truck would not start, also if it was bad their would be a code for that,,, im not saying it's not possiable, just everything your going though i have been though,,,,,,, Roger,,, early 04 f350 6.0.. new pistons rings. rod bearings. lifters, new intake exhaust and head gaskets with arp head studs , egr delete, 4 in turbo back straight piped, blue spring mod, new ipr, new radiator , valve job done to trucks, just had 2 rocker arms and push rods installed, and their is al kinds of stuff that i can't even think of,,, good luck friend keep us posted

Last edited by rogerallen33; 05-14-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'll keep mine simple... It showed on my 04 when I took it in that cylinder 8 was misfiring and it was sporadic like yours and it ended up being the injector harness... Changed it out and it's running fine now

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Last edited by tylerw13; 05-15-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I also thought it was the injector but ended up being something super simple and semi cheap... Don't think it's something super pricey and make sure you find out which cylinder it is and check the harness cause it's cake to change

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-15-2013, 01:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yeah it's a flip of a coin on what it could be, you just shouldn't drive it skipping, it will eventually cause engine damage, im lucky that I got out this time with just 2 broken rocker arms and 2 bent push rods, could have been a lot worse, anyways good luck hope your get out as cheap as possiable
Old 05-19-2013, 07:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerallen33 View Post
im going to help you out here buddy I just picked my 04 6.0 up from the shop today, it was skipping, and skipping bad when your in last gear does the truck shake real bad, I actually have been though this a couple of times, the first 2 times it were bad injectors,, this go around I had 2 broken rocker arms and 2 bent push rods, what happened is my wiring going to my vgt short circuited and I guess I gave it to much fuel to compensate for it and went into a over ref situation , both rocker arms snapped and 2 push rods bent, and they all were on the same cylinder, im not saying you have a broken rocker arm, im just going to give you a run down on what it could be, bad injector or injectors, either on the mechanical side or electric side, lets hope it's just bad injectors, broken rocker arms, bent push rods this isn't a major repair if that's your issue, worst case scenario is a bent valve or bad piston or rings, i have a question for you do you have any kind of noises at idol when you turn your steering wheel or press the brake petal hard i can't stress this to you enough don't drive it skipping because your going to end up causing damage to your truck, im no diesel mechanic , but i know one of the best around, and we have been though a lot together when it comes to my truck, get your truck checked out asap, i hope its just a minor issue for you, and some times injectors can go in or out which cylinder is skipping, what codes are in the truck,, i will help you anyway that i can, because i know the frustration that comes with your truck no running right have been their time and time again, if you eliminated the injectors, then you problem lays within the motor, if you have a cylinder skipping their will be a code, is their any white smoke , you need to get a buzz test done on them injectors, if your located in nc,, i can recommend the best mechanic around,, everything that i have listed will give a contribution code, stop driving your truck until you fix buddy i would hate to see another 6.0 engine go down, it is possiable your hpop is going bad, but that also will give a contribution code, let me know how things turn out, ohh yeah when my ipr started going bad, the truck was hard to start and they was no skipping at all, and when it went completely out the truck would not start, also if it was bad their would be a code for that,,, im not saying it's not possiable, just everything your going though i have been though,,,,,,, Roger,,, early 04 f350 6.0.. new pistons rings. rod bearings. lifters, new intake exhaust and head gaskets with arp head studs , egr delete, 4 in turbo back straight piped, blue spring mod, new ipr, new radiator , valve job done to trucks, just had 2 rocker arms and push rods installed, and their is al kinds of stuff that i can't even think of,,, good luck friend keep us posted
Thanks for advice man. No white smoke, No unknown noises really. Everything is good other than the missing. Doesnt always do it either. Yesterday it never done it. Other days it may do it all day. Only code I get that matters i guess is thay cylinder 4 contribution code but it didnt show its head till after I made the post. Maybe the following day it did. I can run 50 or 60 and it will never do it. Something about the rpm at 55ish is just right to make the fuel pressure not right it seems.

A part of me wants to do the repairs since I got couple of decent mechanices behind me( no 6.0 experts but overall good mechanics) willing to help me long and youtube is decent for help on stuff but I dread it. Ive got the XDP egr delete in my back seat waiting to be installed, but I was trying to figure this crap out first. By Breaking it down myself the money Id save on labor would buy me wonderful items I need like sinister coolant filter and blue spring upgrades .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.