sticking calipers - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 02:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
sticking calipers

I'm having issues with brake calipers sticking (2 in 3 months). Right after buying my '06 the front left caliper locked up pretty good.. The rotor was cherry red and smoking. The dealer towed it in and replaced the caliper, and disc. I asked them to change all of the fluid because I figured that as hot as the brakes got and as tight as the pedal was the fluid was garbage, plus I thought it may have some kind of trash in the lines. They "said" they did and all has been well, until today. Ive had the truck roughly 3 months now, and noticed last night that the rear left caliper is sticking.. Its not as bad as the front, or at least doesn't seem as bad. The rotor wasn't glowing, and there didn't seem to be any "drag" on the truck, but since its the rear wheel the engine may just be overpowering it. I could smell it, and the wheel was incredibly hot compared to the other 3.

Am I just having bad luck? I'm doubting the dealer actually flushed all of the lines and replaced all of the fluid, but have no solid confirmation of this yet. Do theses trucks in general or the 2006 model year have issues with calipers locking up? I drive the truck a few times a weak, I saw mention in a post or 2 about the calipers sticking if not driven often... I would assume that driving it 3-4 times a week would be enough to keep them from sticking. I was under the truck earlier in the day doing routine fuel filter maintenance and took time to give everything the once over. I didn't notice any crushed lines or hoses, no odd kinks anywhere.

Trash in the lines? Old break fluid? Anything specifically I should be looking for?
If i pull the caliper and can move it with a c-clamp, should I replace it anyway or just flush it and keep using it?

Last edited by mrc228; 05-09-2013 at 03:04 AM. Reason: wordy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 06:03 AM
Premium Member

The sticking is usually internal corrosion on the pistons and bores. If you has one sieze, like you did, it would not be unexpected to have more do it soon after. Usually moisture in the fluid, but the truck could have seen water from off-road adventures or even from regular driving in humid conditions and temperature changes. You might want to inspect and rebuild the other calipers since you will probaly need to do them regardless. It is better to do it now than get stuck on the side of the road. Sometimes lack of use can play as a factor in advancing corrosion pitting.

For the rears, ensure the e-brake is not creating the problem. On these trucks the calipers usually do very well in severe conditions.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks Frank.
I replaced the rear that was sticking and flushed all of the old fluid. Clear fluid now to all four brakes, and replacing the other 2 calipers this week. I also learned that there are 2 different styles of brakes on these things! front mount and rear mount.. I have rear, so the drivers rear has to actually be replaced with the passengers rear. Interesting

Anyhow, after gravity bleeding all of the lines and purging the air, the brakes feel a whole lot better now.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:16 AM
Emergency Services

I've replaced both rear and right front on mine and the left front is starting to act up now. I've now made pulling pads and cleaning the calipers part of my spring and fall maintenance. I hope it helps, I'd like to spend money on something fun rather than brake calipers!
Old 05-16-2013, 11:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishermedic View Post
I've replaced both rear and right front on mine and the left front is starting to act up now. I've now made pulling pads and cleaning the calipers part of my spring and fall maintenance. I hope it helps, I'd like to spend money on something fun rather than brake calipers!
Lol I hear ya!! At least the calipers are pretty cheep. I found em for around $54 here after the core charge refund. I doing both passenger side this weekend just to be on the safe side. Taking a road trip up to NC in a few weeks and don't need any supprises on the way!! Have you done a fluid flush? It made a pretty big difference in my overall braking and gave piece of mind. The old fluid was pretty brown.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-16-2013, 11:18 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
I've done all 4 on mine before 100k miles

Old 05-17-2013, 04:32 AM
Emergency Services

$54!!!!!!! :O

I wish I lived AT the border instead of 300 miles from it! Parts are so much cheaper down there! I just got a bunch of stuff, picked it up at the border...$600 US, would have cost me just a shade over $1600 to buy the same stuff here!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.