Join Date: May 2013
Location: K/W, On, Canada
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thinking of buying an 05 6.0 w/1,200,000 km's or 750,000 miles (Advice please)
I can't decide whether or not this is a good deal. The seller told me the following:
- truck is currently used to tranport large campers long distances.
- truck is on it's 3rd motor(app. 175000Km/110K miles on current)
- original tranny(fluid's never been changed)
- injectors have been replaced more than once(6 done last month)
- oil cooler and lines have been replaced
- turbo has been replaced
- truck was not winter driven(he goes to florida for the winter)
- he has no service records!!!
- odometer reads 999,999 (if plugged in to a computer, real mileage shows)
- price is 3500 firm
Turns out the truck's an 04
It's an F-250 SD supercab xlt w/4x4(push-button but hublocks seized in auto position) The seller is an older guy near retirement. He seems truthful but the 'no receipts' really makes me weary. The truck runs great! Tranny doesn't slip. I drove it hard. It has a bit of a vibration above 55mph. The body has a spot above the driverside wheelwell that's bubbling from a previous rust spot, and a couple chips here and there. Underneath looks really good.
The truck will be for personal use...no heavy hauling/floating. The problems seem minor to me.
The truck doesn't have a pyrometer or any extra gauges which concerns me.
I don't have an 'edge' instrument to check the coolant vs oil temp but isn't that problem fixed permanently with the new oil cooler?
Is there any way to test the wear of the motor?
I'm not worried about the tranny because I can get one rebuilt and installed for $1600. So figure about 6000 tops(factoring in 900 for parts/repairs if I can't do them myself and I have a decent truck with a new tranny.
What do you guys think? I'm torn cuz with that high of mileage anything could go.....am I right?
I really appreciate any thought/opinions.
Last edited by mr.positive; 07-17-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Reason: wording errors