new EGR valve, cooler leaking some, now no boost and occasional surging - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 08:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new EGR valve, cooler leaking some, now no boost and occasional surging

Going to do an EGR delete as soon as parts arrive, hopefully within a week.
Meanwhile.............2006 F350 stock.
My EGR valve failed and I replaced it 2 weeks ago, April 21st. Truck ran like new for 4 days then began blowing grey and black smoke in mornings and almost every time I would take off from light or stop sign. Continued and eventually started loosing power. Pulled the new valve and it was gunked up and stuck open again. cleaned it and reinstalled, helped some but now turbo is sticking and having no boost issues. Sometimes truck runs fine other times no boost for maybe a mile or so then kicks in and runs fine. Occasional surging when taking off, I'm being very gentle with takeoffs.
Unplugged EGR valve for 2 days and truck seemed to do much better, but 3rd day ran like crap.
Now I'm unplugging EGR when I turn engine off, and plug it back in after starting engine. Seems to run better this way but still smokes bad in morning and still have intermittent no boost issues.

Thought maybe this could be MAP, EBP, or VGT related issues.
Shop which is going to do my delete, oil cooler and clean turbo told me 6.0's don't usually have EBP issues. (this is contradicting everything I've read)
Will unplugging VGT help me with boost problem? Also I can't seem to find the MAP sensor in order to clean it, thinking this could be my boost related problem if not the EBP.

I've got to keep this truck running till the delete gets done, it's my only way of pulling my work trailer, and I can't afford to be losing any customers.

Also truck has no starting issues and idles normal. FICM replaced in Dec, oil and filters changed beginning of April, Cat EC1 coolant and filter Done Dec 31st, Blue spring and new fuel filters beginning of March.

Last edited by PBSReg; 05-06-2013 at 08:43 PM. Reason: additional info added
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do you have any guages to post values? This has probably been said many times, but for a 6.0 some kind of monitor is important. The map sensor is on the passenger side on a triangular shaped mount above the ac box. It has a hose that goes down into the intake manifold on the passenger side. Pull that hose off and clean it out. Also check the hose fitting into the manifold that could also be clogged, if so pull it and clean it. The ebp sensor is on the t-stat housing that has a small tube that runs down to the driver side exhaust manifold. You can either pull the tube to clean it along with the sensor, or just pull the sensor, and if you have a weedeater, cut off a piece and fish it down and back to break any garbage loose. When you unplug the vgt solenoid, all you are doing is telling the turbo to fully open and relax. All these items are free except for your time, but might be worth a shot. If you can swing a monitor, get one. Mine has saved me many times catching an issue before it snowballs into something major, which can happen very quickly. The black smoke you speak of is unburned fuel. Until you can get a monitor on it, it just speculation.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm having similar issues

I'm figuring the black smoke is from lack of turbo boost. The more boost means more air (oxygen) in the combustion chamber for a complete burn. Lack of boost means lack of air (oxygen) to burn, thus incomplete combustion resulting in black smoke. My problem is intermittent, so I am thinking the turbo vanes are sticking. Now I just have to figure the extent of all my other problems, like losing coolant without a leak.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:59 AM

You can take apart the turbo to clean it. Its not that difficult to do. I did mine a few months ago and it cleaned up nicely. There is a 1" abrasive disc that goes on an electric drill at harbor freight that works well for this task. IIRC it was about 6 bucks and i used 2. A nice coat of antisieze on everything after finishing. There are also some brass cup brushes there that will fit into the tight crevices that work well also.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Kyle, thanks for the Triangular mount clue, found the MAP, hose wasn't dirty, cleaned the hole into intake. didn't seem to help much, still having boost problems when truck is first started. After turbo finally kicks in I'm good until truck sits and cools down, then turbo seems to be stuck again. Haven't done EBP yet but starting to think turbo needs a good dustin n cleanin. Plan to do Delete early next week, but don't think I can wait that long to do turbo. Wish I could just get it all done tomorrow, but shop can't do it till next week and I'm not quick enough to risk the down time from work to try it myself.
Is it possible to semi clean turbo without removing and tearing it down? That would be a great help for now..........

With all the smoke this is blowing in the mornings, I wouldn't be surprised if my Cat isn't getting clogged too. Ordered a delete pipe for the cat just wish it would show up soon!

Last edited by PBSReg; 05-07-2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 05-07-2013, 07:51 PM

It should take appx 4 hrs from start to finish to remove, dissassemble, clean, reassemble, and reinstall turbo. Thats about what it takes me anyways, but i kinda like to putz around. No other way around cleaning it unless you are a genie and can wish it. lol When you drive for awhile and shut it down, can you hear the turbo spooling down? I didn't before i cleaned mine and now it is very distinct in the sound it makes. You really need a monitor if you are going to own a 6.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.