Turbo Issues. PLEASE HELP! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 07:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo Issues. PLEASE HELP!

So i welded the exhaust ends of my EGR cooler and re-installed everything. Ever since, I have had weird problems with the turbo. When i start the truck up, it sounds like a intermittant whine, than gradually fades away. When the engine is quickly reved there is a sqreech sound. If i let the truck idle for 5 minutes, the squeeling will come back, change tones, and fade away. I dont think the turbo is operating. When i pull the VGT plug, the sound changed a little bit. I lost my exhaust wooosh sound, it just sounds like a big V8 ideling. Here is what i have checked so far.

-Removed the turbo and cleaned vanes, housing, unisom ring, etc. Verified everything was ok.
-Removed VGT solenoid from a friends truck and installed, same outcome.
-Replaced EBP sensor and cleaned tube.
-Tested MAP sensor
-Tested plug at turbo all the way back to PCM and Ohmd out.
-Tested voltage to hot and pulse signal to ground on VGT plug
-Removed oil supply line from top of turbo, removed FICM relay and bump started to test oil flow, OK
-Replace IC elbows and tightened
-Replaced tube to MAP sensor and intake manifold.
-Removed Turbo SIX TIMES to verify everything was OK
-Triple checked for exhaust leaks

I am ready to shoot myself. Me and my shop full of techs can not figure this out! My trucks been down a week and i probably have 50 hours of labor trying to trouble shoot. the engine idles smooth, the only issues is the turbo. I know the turbo is ok? Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Premium Member

What is your MAP (boost), EBP, and turbo vane positions reading?
Old 05-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Could it be somthing as dumb as the actual electrical plug that attaches to the turbo on the side? What i mean is have you check that plug for corrossion on the inside/missing parts?
Old 05-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I dont have a computer that can read all this information. I installed a new MAP sensor and hose, OK. Installed new BPS sensor, OK. Had open wires at the plug to the VGT solenoid. Replace pigtail, OK. Tested VGT solenoid with another, OK. I would think if there was a problem with these sensors, a new sensor would fix the issue, right? I am stumped?
Old 05-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Premium Member

Just because you replaced them, doesn't mean the system is working correctly. The screeching could be a bad bearing, but it could be an up-pipe leak or plumbing bad connection - yes I know you said it was checked x3.

You think the turbo is not working, but when you unplugged the VGT it seems to be at least partially working correctly since the vanes would open and change the exhaust note. You really need to determine which values are not correct. Guessing can be expensive and not very productive, even with the help close by.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

We have an autoxray EZscan 6000. I try to monitor these sensors and my scanner says "Lost connection, monitor system shutting down" Every time. Now it wont even try to monitor. Will this scanner not work? Do i have a PCM issue?
Old 05-03-2013, 07:52 PM
Banned

Do you see any trails of black soot around uppipes?
Is the screeching like blowing through a reed or thick grass leaf sideways.
What about a small hole in the weld on the egr cooler air rushing through and screeching?
Old 05-04-2013, 03:30 PM
Premium Member

Why it is caging, who knows... However, I have a hunch the unit you are using will not read many of the PIDs you need for your truck. FYI, My 2 year old Pro Scan is very limited when I put it on my truck as well, and it cost more than my DashBoss.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just joined the forum tonight and am having issues too. I bought my truck last week and truck was running fine, I decided to install a sinister EGR cooler, Oil cooler, EGR valve, all filters just to be safe. Well that nice jet sound from the exhaust is gone!! If I unplug the VGT no change at all, runs exactly the same. seems like there is very little to no boost. around 2500RPM it falls on its face. no check engine lights and no codes. what gets me is it ran fine before I took it apart!! That bothers me. I will say I have learned a ton from this forum in the past week.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66batrod View Post
I just joined the forum tonight and am having issues too. I bought my truck last week and truck was running fine, I decided to install a sinister EGR cooler, Oil cooler, EGR valve, all filters just to be safe. Well that nice jet sound from the exhaust is gone!! If I unplug the VGT no change at all, runs exactly the same. seems like there is very little to no boost. around 2500RPM it falls on its face. no check engine lights and no codes. what gets me is it ran fine before I took it apart!! That bothers me. I will say I have learned a ton from this forum in the past week.
I would suggest you just read this thread and follow the same diagnostics as prescribed by the op.
Lots of good infoe here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.