Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

LPOP issue? Oil?

942 views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  Powerstokin 
#1 ·
Okay so for awhile now once my trucks oil temp gets above 175 if I turn the truck off it won't come back on till the oil temp is around 165. When it does come back on its a LONG painful crank and kind of stutters into running. Also the oil gauge on the dash doesn't come up till about 2/3s of the way through the crank. My research has led me to LPOP but I'm not certain. I thought the oil could be the problem because for winter I changed my oil to 5w40 synthetic and possibly once it's warm it could be too thin? Help me out please

#2 ·
What brand filter do you have? Do you have oem filter cap? The spring in the lpop which allows only a certain amount of pressure may be worn or clogged with crabby oil. Make sure filter is oem first

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#3 ·
It could also be a hpo leak as well if your having a long hot start

#6 ·
Well if your lpop is having trouble feeding the correct pressure and volume to the hpop resovoir it may starve the hpop- thus feeding air into the system giving it a long start. If its having trouble starting when its warm then 9/10 times its hpo system related. Its hard to say without some real numbers. If you have a scanner bring up icp desired, icp actual, ipr duty cycle, ficm voltage before during and after cranking. We can get a better chance of diagnosing with some real numbers ya know?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.