Help, truck lost acceleration and died, won't start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 07:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help, truck lost acceleration and died, won't start

I have an '03 F350 dually with 127k miles, I've had it since about August of last year with no problems what so ever with the exception of a new starter. Friday it died and wouldn't start but eventually started back up after about 5 minutes or so, I got a P2285 code for the ICP sensor and thought I would replace it soon but today it completely lost acceleration out of no where and I had to floor it to keep it from dying and eventually it got to the point where it just died from no acceleration what so ever, it wouldn't at all so I got someone to bring me starting fluid and I got it to start but it barely got me home which was about 2 blocks away from where it died. I started looking online and saw that it might be the EGR Valve wrestled with it for about an hour and it had quite a bit of carbon build up in it so I cleaned it off, put it back in and tried to start it up and it wouldn't, it just kept cranking and wanting to start but once I sprayed a little bit of starting fluid in it and it cranked up but died after a few minutes. Any ideas? I'm thinking of disconnecting the ICP sensor tomorrow and seeing if it starts up.

Edit: Oh and also the few times when it did start back up it would throw black smoke as long as I had the accelerator down while losing power.

Last edited by Stick_Welder; 04-29-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 10:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I went out to give it a try this morning and it started up about the 4th or 5th time and it didn't sound right, there was no whistle from the Turbo at the exhaust and when I would press on the accelerator nothing would happen but when I would put the brake it would decelerate and die out. I called the Ford house this morning and they told me they can't get it in until June...
Old 05-01-2013, 03:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well someone suggested to me that it might be the fuel filters so I replaced them this morning and it didn't seemed to idle for a few more seconds but still died out. I also took the EGR valve back out and gave it a deep cleaning to where it looks new and changed the O-rings and gasket. It almost sounds normal when it's running but it still dies out pretty quickly... I can't find a way to disconnect the ICP without taking off the FICM, Turbo, etc. so does anyone have any suggestions on it? I just really don't want to take all that off and screw anything up more than it already is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.