No start after ARPs and HG - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 06:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No start after ARPs and HG

I installed new oem head gaskets and ARP studs on my truck. At my first attempt to start I heard a weird starter noise, like it was low on compression. Come to find out i broke a rocker arm and bent a pushrod on the number 5 cylinder. The truck would start this morning run for a few moments then die out, any attempt to push the throttle and the truck would cough and die. The starter seems to being making normal starting noises again but now the truck wont run at all. I unplugged the ICP sensor and the truck would now run, but then die out again. So i hooked up my AE and this is what i found.

FICM SYNC- No (cranking will not fire)
ICP is the same as ICP desired
IPR is at 15% until cranking then it jumps to 70-80%
FICM is at 47.50v
FICM pwr is at 11v
CKP and CMP sync (no, even though it switches to yes sometimes. It was doing this before i did my head gaskets.)

I took my truck to a local diesel shop before i decided to do the head gaskets myself to help figure out a misfiring problem. He hooked it up to his IDS and tried to run a relative compression test and it kept kicking him out for failing rpm. However his IDS did get a ficm sync during the test. He told me to try to put a CPS in and see if it helps and it didnt.

Fast forward to now. The truck will not fire off at all no matter how long i crank on it. Sometimes when i crank i can see the RPM gauge fall to zero while the motor is still being spun over. I am getting crank and cam position codes like crazy. Is it time for a new crank sensor or is something else wrong? When the truck was running is was pouring out white smoke but when it died it would puff out some black smoke toward then end and it all smelled like fuel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 06:45 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You need a new CKP either that or the connection is loose. Try zip tying it together to hold it in place. Then double check your PCM to main engine harness connection as well as FICM connections. So long as your not getting FICM sync the engine will never start.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:36 PM

Is FICM sync just CMP and CKP signals?
Old 04-29-2013, 07:48 PM
KCCO!!

Crank and cam sensor codes are from excessive cranking with no start. You shouldn't have to replace.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kells17 View Post
Crank and cam sensor codes are from excessive cranking with no start. You shouldn't have to replace.
99% of the time I could agree, but there has to be more with this FICM no sync.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:03 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
FICM sync is the PCM and FICM syncing together. Without CMP and CKP signals the PCM has no idea where the pistons or valves are and will not send the signal to the FICM to allow the injectors to fire. If your not getting FICM sync than you have either an issue with a loose/frayed/broken connection between either your CKP or CMP or both. Without the PCM and FICM syncing the engine will never fire. Also not to scare you but I have heard of instances where the CKP ring gear slips sometimes causing similar issues as well as the cam tone ring breaking a tooth or two and causing similar issues.

Last edited by Tuscany; 04-29-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:16 PM
KCCO!!

Hmmm.... imma watch this thread closely...
Old 04-29-2013, 09:00 PM
Like a boss!

Old 04-30-2013, 09:50 AM

I've ohmed out the camshaft signal on the PCM connector and it was 853ohms. I decided to replace the cam sensor with a known good one. I've also replace the FICM and PCM with ones out of my brothers truck. Still getting no CMP/CKP sync and no FICM sync. The CKP sensor seems to be working because i am getting steady RPM on the dash and on the AE while cranking. Any more ideas? The truck went from running rough to not running at all.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:12 AM

Check your wiring harness on driver side mine did the same thing it was shorted wires on the CPS. Where the shielded cable is spliced to the plug connector. The soldered wires were taped and not covered with heat shrink. Never threw a code until it was running and I shook harness. That's when it threw a CPS low code. Good luck with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.