Coolant change - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2013, 06:05 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant change

I know this is a old subject but when you do a coolant flush is the water after using restore and restore plus clear or does it stay a little white and have a smell like acid to it because I have drained mine and flushed mine about 10 times so far and it seems like its staying the same every time. I have the thermostat in because no ford dealer within 3 county's of me have one. So it's taking for ever. Can I just tap water during the flush so I can have it running and the drain open on the radiator open and putting water in at the same time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 06:29 AM
I Like Shiny Things :)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yes it was white to start with, but cleaned out with a few tap water flushes. Amazon.com sells the thermostat for around $25 if I remember right, but for now what you can do is take off the thermostat housing, then just remove the thermostat and reinstall the housing. It doesn't destroy the thermostat to take it out unless you're just being silly, just push down and twist. With the thermostat out, stick your garden hose in the degas bottle full blast, open the block drains and radiator drain, let it fill up until it starts overflowing out the bottle, then start your engine. That way there's a continuous supply of fresh water running through the system and it'll get all that white junk outta there.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:14 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well there is a advance on the way home from work will a thermostat from there work. And I also need to buy the new degas bottle cap can you get it from there
Old 04-29-2013, 07:16 AM
I Like Shiny Things :)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Don't know for sure about the cap, but I wouldn't run an aftermarket thermostat. Many guys, here and on other forums have tried them and they open too early and don't let the engine come up to full operating temp, usually only around 175-180 degrees instead of the full 190 (and yeah, 10 degrees will make a difference). If yours is still good, you can just remove it from the housing like I said above, do your flushes, then reinstall it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.