6.0 engines - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 01:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 engines

i have a quick question i will be getting a new job soon and im looking at purchasing a lifted 2004 f350 with a 6.0 engine the headstuds have already been replaced with the arp studs this will be my first diesel and i will only be driving about 30 miles a day and i was just wondering will i have a lot of the problems that i have been reading on the 6.0 engines?

thanks in advance and sorry if this is on another thread i jst was trying to get advice from the experts

-tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Can't say i would recommend it. Mine is broke down now(likely oil cooler) oil in antifreeze. If you ever get one of these 6.0's you want a bullet proof diesel oil,egr cooler, or at least a coolant filter, change coolant often, only use distilled water to dilute, and hope for the best.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I love mine great truck
Old 04-27-2013, 11:40 AM
I Like Shiny Things :)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by taf9991 View Post
i have a quick question i will be getting a new job soon and im looking at purchasing a lifted 2004 f350 with a 6.0 engine the headstuds have already been replaced with the arp studs this will be my first diesel and i will only be driving about 30 miles a day and i was just wondering will i have a lot of the problems that i have been reading on the 6.0 engines?

thanks in advance and sorry if this is on another thread i jst was trying to get advice from the experts

-tom
1st off, Welcome Tom!

Here we go!
If you can, get a full list of what was done when the stud job was done. Look for OEM head gaskets, whether the heads were machined or not, updated parts like STC fittings, dummy plugs, standpipeetc. etc. etc. This will help you at least get a good history on the work

Congratulations! However, with this you're also looking at one of the higher maintenance-oriented diesels. Lots of power, and good reliability when taken care of. Gotta keep up on filter changes, oil changes, coolant flushes, and such. If you do, this truck will be one of the funnest ones to ever drive IMO, if not, you'll be cussing and whining the whole way to the bank while you take a loan out to have it fixed.

I take it that's 15 miles one way and 15 miles back? It's better than some, but still not the best thing you can do. By the time you get there, everything may have just come up to operating temp before you shut it down (trans fluid, gear oils)....this is hard on any vehicle because it creates a lot of condensation and then the oil doesn't get hot enough to clean it all out. 15 miles should be enough to get the batteries up to charge after your start in the morning, so you should be ok with battery drain.

Like any used vehicle (and some new for that matter) there's no way to tell. It could be the most problematic vehicle you've ever encountered or it could be the best piece of equipment you've ever owned and sat down to operate. Whether you have big problems or not really depends on you.

Do your research
--Know what to look for when you buy one of these (EOT/ECT deltas, FICM voltages, Alt. Output, HPOP pressure, etc.) Take a scanner with you when you go for the test drive so you can read those values and verify that they're within spec, or if they're not and you want to buy it anyways, use that as a tool to drop the price.
--Know the vehicle history, what was done where to which part and by who
--If you do buy it, make sure you get a monitor of some sort. Knowing those critical temps (EOT/ECT) and voltages and being able to see them and find problems BEFORE they happen will save you tons of cash and heartache. Also, a coolant filter is IMO essential to these engines and should be done ASAP. A monitor and coolant filter are the two things essential to any healthy 6.0 owner.
--Use the right parts! NO AFTERMARKET FUEL/OIL FILTERS! I know Ford/Motorcraft ones are a little more spendy, but they have certain design features that NONE of the aftermarkets do. There are plenty of places to find filters cheaper than your local Ford dealership too.

As long as you know what to look for, you'll probably find a good one. Don't just take the dealerships word for it, take it to a mech. you trust and have him/her look it over if you're still unsure. Most places do pre-purchase inspections pretty cheap. If you're unsure I say don't do it and move on. With the bad rep that this engine got and the way people got scared, there's tons of them out there. I bought mine last year and have had 0 problems thus far, I love it!

Good luck!

Last edited by nighthawk285; 04-27-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by taf9991 View Post

-tom
how you doing tom,,, i bought a earley 04 f350 since it's a earley 04 it has the 03 motor with 03 turbo,,, ok with a 03 motor,, you don't have to worrie about a stc fitting, or dummy plugs don't have them the high pressure oil system is much better on this motor,,, you need to look at that it will be located on the passenger side valve cover should be a yellow tag, with the year model of the engine,,,, ok my truck had 180,000 on it when i bought it,,, egr and oil cooler was the first thing to go,,, i also read about all the problems,,, you say this truck has head studs, don't take someones word for it look to see if you look at the bottom of the heads you should be able to see them they are on the outside their.. also look to see if their has been a egr delete done, if not,,, when you buy the truck you will need to spend somewhere around a grand at a shop to get a egr delete and new oil cooler done,,, i can't stress how much to get a new oil cooler and egr delete done,, also go ahead and have the intake boiled out and make sure the shop installs new intake gaskets,,,, the some people have had hpop issues with these trucks,, the trucks are not as faulty as everyone says once you put a little money in them they are quite bad *** to be honest,,, i will be honest though these trucks aren't for someone that has a 10 dollar an hour job,, because when something breaks it does cost money,,, parts for them are outrageous,,,, would i buy another diesel truck, no,,,,,,, would i sell my diesel truck,,,, hell no,,,,, well for a lot of money i would,,, but you know what i mean,, the head studs are the most important thing along with the egr delete and oil cooler,, i have put a lot of money in my truck,, because i drove it with a blown egr cooler for many miles and it hydo locked while driving and really tore **** up,,, so i had to rebuild her,,,, here is where im at with my truck

here is what has been done to my truck,,,, full engine rebuild ,,, new pistons rings, crank cam and rod bears,,, new exhaust intake and head gaskets with arp head studs, egr delete, new oil cooler, new hpop with updated stand pipes, new valves and valve guides were installed, turbo rebuilt ,blue spring mod, k&n cold air intake, 4in straight pipe turbo back exhaust, new ipr and ipc sensor, new radiator , new alternator new belt, 6 in lift riding on 35x12.5x20 nitto mt trail grappler tires, with 20 in massi rims,,,, by this time im broke so i didn't upgrade my injectors which was a mistake, because i had 2 injectors go out on me around 5000 miles ago so their is another 650 bucks 250 a piece for the injectors and then some labor cost,,,ohh yeah she is sct tuned as well,,, if i was looking at the truck you wanted to buy and it had headstuds i would buy it as long as the heads were taken to a machine shop shaved pressure checked and new gaskets were installed,,, i have heard some people say you can change them one at a time that's bull****,,, don't ever do that,,, can a 6.0 be dependable,, well bro mine is and she is fast to
Old 04-28-2013, 06:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

ohh one more thing tom tell them you want to drive the truck for a few hours, and not a few mins,,, the dealerships only wanna give you 30 mins,,, tell them that's not going to work if you going to make a investment that large also if they are trying to sell you that truck for more than 15 to 16 grand walk away,,, and while you drive it for a while stop by a couple of places turn her off, let her set for about 5 mins start her back if she blows white smoke blown egr cooler,,, if the delete hasn't been installed,, then drive her a little more and turn her off wait 20 sec and then start her back up,,, if she has problems started hot,,, its a high pressure oil system failure somewhere would most likely be a high pressure oil leak which is more prone to the later production 04 and up 6.0s ,,, good luck buddie
Old 04-29-2013, 06:47 AM

I completely forgot about the early motors not having the HPOP delivery problems Good call Roger, however, I do have to disagree with you that he (or anyone buying a used 6.0) would need to start throwing money at it right away with an EGR delete and oil cooler. That's what the monitor is for. If the truck was decently maintained and the deltas are in check, there's no reason to dump another $1,000 to fix a problem that doesn't exist. Also, depending on where the OP lives, there may be emissions requirements that prohibit an EGR delete. Again though, if there's no symptom and no problem, there's no reason to spend that money yet...

..your truck isn't just going to randomly blow up in a catastrophe. That's the part where doing your research, knowing what to look for, and fixing it before it's a big problem comes in. The people that keep driving these engines knowing that their EGR coolers are blown or oil coolers are plugged are the ones that have to dump a lot of time and money into their trucks. If you see the problem developing and stop driving it until you fix it, your $3500 repair now only costs you about $700.

You're right the trucks are not as faulty as the general public has made them out to be, but that's where a person has to be a good owner, keep up on the maintenance, know the vitals, and take care of problems while they're small.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kendallcschm
i have an 07 6.0L and she runs great.. even tuned without studs.. don't worry about the truck just maintain it immaculately like any other vehicle you'd love
Old 04-29-2013, 12:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk285 View Post
I completely forgot about the early motors not having the HPOP delivery problems Good call Roger, however, I do have to disagree with you that he (or anyone buying a used 6.0) would need to start throwing money at it right away with an EGR delete and oil cooler. That's what the monitor is for. If the truck was decently maintained and the deltas are in check, there's no reason to dump another $1,000 to fix a problem that doesn't exist. Also, depending on where the OP lives, there may be emissions requirements that prohibit an EGR delete. Again though, if there's no symptom and no problem, there's no reason to spend that money yet...

..your truck isn't just going to randomly blow up in a catastrophe. That's the part where doing your research, knowing what to look for, and fixing it before it's a big problem comes in. The people that keep driving these engines knowing that their EGR coolers are blown or oil coolers are plugged are the ones that have to dump a lot of time and money into their trucks. If you see the problem developing and stop driving it until you fix it, your $3500 repair now only costs you about $700.

You're right the trucks are not as faulty as the general public has made them out to be, but that's where a person has to be a good owner, keep up on the maintenance, know the vitals, and take care of problems while they're small.
if you buy a used 6.0 with over 100k on her replacing the oil cooler, is never a bad idea, the egr system on these trucks is not the best in the world, if he lives in a state where their are emission laws for diesel trucks, then upgrade the stock egr cooler,, eventually your egr cooler will go, and it's normally caused by a clogged oil cooler, if the truck he wants is like mine, their aren't that many gauges to keep a eye on,,, my factory gauges are trans temp coolant temp, oil pressure, speed and rpm and battery, nothing else, I have to use my sct to monitor the rest of my vitals,,, im saying the egr and oil cooler once so many miles are at risk,,, why not get rid of the problem before it occurs,,,, I came to find out also that when I bought my truck it was full of stop leak,,,, it was very hard to get all that mess out,,, I only know of one state with that emission law,, that's California are their others, im not saying I disagree with you,,, in my opinion it would be the first thing I do no matter what, when I bought my truck it was my first diesel, so I didn't know I had a blown egr cooler, which led mine to hydro locking while driving, wish I would have spent that grand before it costed me 10grand
but that 10 grand is including a fair amount of upgrades, if I would have went all back stock, I think it would have cost me like 8500, if you drive your truck with a blown egr cooler hydro locking sooner or later will happen,, I am just basing my opinion on what happened to me when I bought my 6.0,, and this happened to me one month after I bought it,, if someone would have told me about the egr delete and oil cooler I would have done it right away but I didn't know and In the long run it really cost me some coin ,, that was a whole year of savings I spent on that truck, im not a rich man, just a hard working man ( roofer and siding installer by trade). I would hate to see anyone go though what I went threw,,, and the fact of the matter is too, a used car dealership will tell you almost anything to get you to buy it. The fact of the matter is the dealer doesn't know either on how well the previous owner maintained the truck. If the truck he is buying has head studs already installed,,, their's a good chance that the head gaskets blew at some point.. in my opinion if someone takes their nice truck to a used carlot to trade it in,, they are tired of putting money into the truck. maybe they didn't put their money in the right places I don't know,,,, all I can base my facts on.. is what happened to me,,, and now I have one of the meanest trucks on the road

Last edited by rogerallen33; 04-29-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerallen33 View Post
if you buy a used 6.0 with over 100k on her replacing the oil cooler, is never a bad idea, the egr system on these trucks is not the best in the world, if he lives in a state where their are emission laws for diesel trucks, then upgrade the stock egr cooler,, eventually your egr cooler will go, and it's normally caused by a clogged oil cooler, if the truck he wants is like mine, their aren't that many gauges to keep a eye on,,, my factory gauges are trans temp coolant temp, oil pressure, speed and rpm and battery, nothing else, I have to use my sct to monitor the rest of my vitals,,, im saying the egr and oil cooler once so many miles are at risk,,, why not get rid of the problem before it occurs,,,, I came to find out also that when I bought my truck it was full of stop leak,,,, it was very hard to get all that mess out,,, I only know of one state with that emission law,, that's California are their others, im not saying I disagree with you,,, in my opinion it would be the first thing I do no matter what, when I bought my truck it was my first diesel, so I didn't know I had a blown egr cooler, which led mine to hydro locking while driving, wish I would have spent that grand before it costed me 10 grand but that 10 grand is including a fair amount of upgrades, if I would have went all back stock, I think it would have cost me like 8500, if you drive your truck with a blown egr cooler hydro locking sooner or later will happen,, I am just basing my opinion on what happened to me when I bought my 6.0,, and this happened to me one month after I bought it,, if someone would have told me about the egr delete and oil cooler I would have done it right away but I didn't know and In the long run it really cost me some coin ,, that was a whole year of savings I spent on that truck, im not a rich man, just a hard working man ( roofer and siding installer by trade). I would hate to see anyone go though what I went threw,,, and the fact of the matter is too, a used car dealership will tell you almost anything to get you to buy it. The fact of the matter is the dealer doesn't know either on how well the previous owner maintained the truck. If the truck he is buying has head studs already installed,,, their's a good chance that the head gaskets blew at some point.. in my opinion if someone takes their nice truck to a used carlot to trade it in,, they are tired of putting money into the truck. maybe they didn't put their money in the right places I don't know,,,, all I can base my facts on.. is what happened to me,,, and now I have one of the meanest trucks on the road
Ok, again I will start by saying this again and then I will leave it at that, do your research, know what to look for, and use a monitor to catch those problems small while you can. There are tons of threads on this info all across the web. For example, if you would have probably asked about why you had white smoke on startup, someone would have suggested that it might be a blown EGR cooler and you wouldn't have hydro locked your engine. If you monitor the difference in temperature between your Engine Coolant Temp and your Engine Oil Temp, you can start to see when your oil cooler is clogged. If you monitor your ICP pressures vs IPR voltages and duty cycles, you can start to see oil leaks before they cause you a no start. This is where the monitor comes in. I hope you also know that the stock gauges have been proven time and time again to be nothing more than a glorified idiot light. For example, when the trans temp is only 60-80 degrees, it shows as "normal"; the oil pressure gauge shows normal anytime you're over 5 psi, if your oil pressure ever drops that low, you'll tear up a lot of stuff inside before that gauge ever tells you there's a problem. Make sure you're at least glancing at these from time to time with your SCT.

To answer your question, yes there are more states than just California that have emissions rules/emissions testing. Always check your local laws.

Yes the dealer probably has no idea how the truck was previously maintained, but the original owner may have left maintenance documents. Yes I agree that the studs were probably done because of some head gasket problems, but if a person could find out why, that would say a lot. HG problems result from a couple different problems.

To the OP, the 6.0 can be a great engine, it's not made of glass and you don't need to buy one and immediately dump a bunch of money into it.....a few bucks in some kind of monitor (scangauge is about $150) and some knowledge are going to go a long way in saving you thousands down the road. Good luck in your decision, whatever it may be
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.