I think I have coolant in oil pan. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 05:15 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I think I have coolant in oil pan.

Hi new here, I have a 2005 F250 6.0 powerstroke, with 113,000 miles on it.
other than straight pipe and Hyperpack tunes and K&N air filter all stock. Last summer when pulling boat noticed eot" getting up to 230, on highway so fig the oil cooler/egr cooler was going bad again. Dealer replaced original egr cooler around 60,000, a couple of months after that they finally replaced the heads on it. "this was in 2009".

Ok two weeks ago i drove the the truck about 150 miles came home,shut down. About an hour later went to move the truck and white smoke pouring out exhaust so that confirmed it. So parked the truck until i got parts for egr delete. and new oil cooler. So last night i went to start truck because I have to move it about 10 feet to work on it. So before start like always i check the fluids, because the truck does not get drove much just a few times in summer when pulling boat. So i pulled the oil plug to get good look at oil and i think i have some coolant in oil pan. has anyone seen this happen with a bad oil cooler / egr cooler?
If so will i be ok to drain the rest of old oil out and put new in so i can move truck, so i can work on it.

Sorry about the long story, I'm new to posting on these forms really don't know the proper etiquette yet.
thank you in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2013, 06:56 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
coolant can definitely get in the oil from a badly failed EGR cooler
Old 04-20-2013, 08:21 AM

Thanks for the reply, kinda makes me feel better.
I am starting the egr/ oil cooler replacement tomorrow. I was planning to drain all oil out and replace filter and oil so I can start it to move it out of the way, when its apart, don't know how long this will take.
The oil was not milky so do you think i need to flush the pan out, or just drain and clean oil will be ok to start and move.
also planning on changing the oil again after cooler/egr/coolant filter install and going with synthetic.

thanks again
Old 04-20-2013, 08:25 AM
Premium Member

On the earlier 6.0 the water pump can cavitate and cause the front cover to leak water into the oil. Don't know if this applies to you but may be something to look at.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 04-20-2013, 05:14 PM

Thanks for the reply,
Yes i've hear that had planned on trying to check that if it is not too hard to get to. And i Have all the tools that i would need, All my tools are still in Ohio in storage, I brought the basics with me until we find a house with a garage.

I only had about a cup or better of coolant come out when i first took oil pan bolt out. when i drained it to day couldn't see any more. Just a few small bubbles. So put a bucket under it and poured fresh oil in, until i could see clean oil come out. put bolt back in topped off with fresh oil and new oil filter, started it up and moved it. It fired up great, and fairly quick and sounded good so i moved it, and shut it down checked dip stick no milk and looked down oil fill hole for any signs of milky oil couldn't find any still hopeful that it's not a head gasket again.

thanks for the reply
i appreciate any help i can get
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.