Help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 08:05 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help!

i'm trying to replace my egr cooler. my back most 10mm turbo bolt has rounded on me, cannot fit a 3/8 on it either. what do i do just get the bolt off? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 08:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Even useing top of the line broen bolt extractor tools you may get to the point of the last 2 options.
1. You can remove it pedastal and all. An adventure all its own.
2. You can remove the transmision for access, slide under and draw yourself up between the engine and transmision and cut off or grind off the bolt head then spend another hour or so getting the threaded part of the bolt out of the turbo ear.

I wish ya luck.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:13 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I assume this is an 03?

if so a 17mm bolt extractor will grab the bolt at the collar (not the head) and give you a large surface area to bite into.

Otherwise I have heard of seperating the turbo on the truck and since the exhaust housing is all that bolts to the pedestal, it will stay and you'll remove the pedestal and exhaust housing as one

if it's not an 03 and you have a vertical rear bolt well then I don't know what to tell you,shouldn't have rounded it off because that would be pretty hard to do
Old 04-21-2013, 05:10 AM

You can remove the turbo and pedestal as one! I had to do that on my 03' it takes a lot of patience and maneauvering. U might have to tear out some of the heat wrap on the firewall above the turbo

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 04-21-2013, 05:12 AM

"I know this is an old thread, but I'm gonna put my two cents in anyways. You can remove the turbo and pedestal at the same time to twist the turbo to access the rear 10mm bolt. Use a shallow 10mm - 1/4" drive socket, then a 1/4" universal joint, followed by a 6" extension then your ratchet. coat the sh** out of the pedestal bolts with pblaster. it will take a steady hand to line up your socket and U-joint between the compressor housing and pedestal but it saves hours of trying to reach behind the turbo to remove the 3rd turbo bolt. the same thing happened to me - 3rd bolt froze up and stripped. twist the turbo clockwise until you can see the 3rd bolt. tap a 3/8" socket onto the bolt then remove (you will have A LOT of extra room for torquing this bolt off.

re-installing the third turbo bolt => I know your thinking F the third bolt but this is less rigged and you will feel better about yourself
I took a 3/8" in socket (which is just smaller than the 10mm) banged the socket onto the bolt while it was in a vice. loosely install the front two 10mm turbo bolts, reach behind the turbo and finger tighten the rear 10mm bolt with the 3/8" socket pressed on. align and tighten your y-pipe and downpipe then reach behind with a 3/8" drive and a small extension and torque it to specs. The socket is still on that 10mm :-P"

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 04-22-2013, 06:24 PM

i just cut the the head off with a torch and lifted the turbo off the "stud" that was left. then a pair of vice grips and a little heat and it came right out. just don't burn any wires!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.