Leaking EGR Cooler=decision time - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 10:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Leaking EGR Cooler=decision time

My situation: I have a 2005 F-350 Lariat DRW 6.0L 91k miles stock except straight piped exhaust, now it has a leaking EGR cooler, gummy EGR valve, and more than likely a clogged oil cooler. I have read through several threads and understand my options for the most part (upgrade or delete EGR cooler, replace oil cooler).

The solution I am leaning towards: Delete EGR cooler, use SCT tuner to prevent CEL, and replace oil cooler with stock part, and get an Edge Insight monitoring system to monitor EOT & ECT (BTW I am assuming these acronyms stand for Engine Oil Temperature and Engine Coolant Temperature respectively) and while we are on acronyms what does ELC mean when referring to coolant (I was thinking some where I saw that it was suggested to get regular coolant out of vehicle and use ELC)?

The only thing I am wondering about is if I can use both the tuner and monitoring system simultaneously. Any thoughts and opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2013, 08:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You are correct on the acronyms. ELC = extended life coolant. Also be sure is is Cat EC-1 rated.

Yes you can run the SCT and Insight together (sort of). You will load tunes with the SCT through the OBD-2 connector and then disconnect the tuner. Then the Insight plugs into the OBD-2 port to monitor the vitals. (I am assuming when you say Insight it is the version that does not "tune" the engine - very bad to "stack" tuners)

I run SCT tunes and have an Insight installed.

BTW, you sould get a coolant filter installed.

MikeB
Old 04-17-2013, 10:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Mike for clearing up the ELC acronym and yes you are correct on the last thing I plug into OBDII being only a monitoring system and no tuning capabilities. I saw a video on installing the Edge Insight CTS and they install a temp probe for the exhaust gas temperature and I don't think I am ready to go to that far just yet so since you have an insight can you use it to monitor the EOT and ECT without adding any probes? Also thanks for the coolant filter suggestion.

Phil
Old 04-17-2013, 02:00 PM
Premium Member

I run the new SCT livewire TS which is a tuner and monitor in one unit. Most of the site sponsors have deals on them with custom tunes.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:45 PM

I think u need to do a certain flush before switching coolants if I remember right. I'm sure someone will correct me. Sct is awsome I'm only using canned tunes till the truck gets studs and I'm getting the edge CS to monitor. And I'm gonna expand.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:03 PM

Yo asked whether the CTS cam monitor EOT and ECT righ tout of the box. Yes it can. If you want EGT or fuel pressure you have to add on, but the basics already monitored by the PCM can be read with the CTS.

MikeB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
egr cooler, egr delete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.