What are these AutoEnginuity ICP Results Saying? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 09:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question What are these AutoEnginuity ICP Results Saying?

Hello Guys,

Also posted in "6.0 Motor Problems"

Sorry in advance for the long post but I wanted to provide as much information as possible. I have been having a random hot no-start for the last few months. I have had two different diesel shops look at it but they could not find anything wrong. I finally broke down and purchased AE. After reading through what seemed like a gazillion posts on this site, I have never seen a thread where the problems were the same as mine. I have seen some that were close but every time, the threads seem to just stop with probable problems and the OP never came back with a fix. My plan is to post results of my fix in hopes that it can help others with their 6.0L problems.

Truck is a 2005 f250 6.0 with 51,000 miles. All stock to include Motorcraft filters, I run Opti-Lube at every fill-up, new batteries and I donít think STC fitting has been replaced (bought used). My problems started about 1 Ĺ years ago when the truck would randomly shut off when letting off the throttle. This problem progressively got worse and I took it to a diesel shop that had for 3 weeks. They trouble shot, swap parts from other known good parts and reported back to me that it was a bad PCM. I questioned how they came to that conclusion and they stated ĎWe have swap out all other parts so it has to be thatĒ. They wanted $2100 to install a new PCM (this included their diagnostics). I didnít think that was my problem and told them to put my truck back together and I was coming to pick it up. When I picked up my truck (after paying $1200 in diagnostics fees) I have never had the problem anymore.

Fast forward to about 6 months ago, I started having hot no-start issues. Took it to a local diesel mechanic who has a good reputation for 6.0Lís and ask him to look at the truck for the hot no-start condition. He had it for a few days but could not re-produce the problem and said the HPO system pressures looked good. He didnít charge me anything and told me to bring back when it broke and he would charge me when he fix something. Great Guy!!

So now, I am having cold hard-starts and hot no-starts. It runs great when it starts. I donít drive the truck that much simply because I donít want to be stranded. But now that the weather is getting warmer I need to tackle this problem. Yesterday I took it out for a good drive and when I got back, I shut it down for about five minutes and try to re-start it but it would just crank and wouldnít start. I hooked up AE and recorded my attempted starts. The average results during cranking are as follows;

ICP Desired Ė 652 PSI
ICP Volts Ė 0.28
ICP Regulator (IPR Duty Cycle) Ė 84%
ICP (PSI) Ė 34 PSI
FICM (Main Power) Ė 47.5

Iím fairly certain that I have a major HPO leak with my IPR duty cycle getting up to 84% and my ICP pressure only building to 34 PSI. What Iím not sure of is if it could be my IPR stuck open or itís a leak in the HPO system (STC fitting, dummy plugs, stand pipe o-rings). Based on my results, what do you guys think?

Iím getting to the point to just tear into this thing myself and replace all known problems (including Bullet Proof EGR Cooler and a new Oil cooler. I have also attached the Excel file with me AE results. Start attempts are highlighted yellow. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks for your help!!!

Dan
Attached Files
File Type: xls AE Results.xls (46.0 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 08:50 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It looks like you do have a major hpo leak, are you saying it will start sometimes? If so, it maybe trash in your ipr. I would pull the ipr, see if the screen is torn. There is an updated screen. Then go from there, probably with the hpo air leak test. The reason I say pull the ipr, is because if it is stuck open with trash, your hpo air test could be skewed anyways.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-16-2013, 05:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Southend....Yes, It will ussally start if it has not been ran for awhile. Lately, it has been taken about 6-8 seconds of turning it over before the ICP pressure will get up above 500 PSI ( I have an Edge CTS) then it will fire up. With that being said, I went out last night and it fire up in less than 1 second.

I will take the IPR out and check it out. If everything looks ok I will try the air pressure test. If it dont I will either replace the screen and/or and valve then pressurize the system.

Thanks again for the reply.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:02 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well, if it is starting up sometimes, I would suspect a failing ipr.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-16-2013, 06:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well itís starting most of the time. If fact, when itís cold, it has always started, just takes a little while. Iíll pull the IPR and see what it looks like. Iíll provide updates as learn anything new. Thanks again for the responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.