Low fuel pressure at WOT - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 02:22 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Low fuel pressure at WOT

As I mentioned in another post, I performed the blue spring upgrade back in December. Have seen consistently around 58 psi at idle and while cruising with drops to around 50-52 at full throttle. Reading are from a dash boss. I dont know what it was before the blue spring mod as I didnt have the sensor hooked up before then.

I recently added the Looney Tune and over the past week saw a couple dips into the high 40's. Yesterday, while passing a car I saw a drop to 38 psi which got me concerned.

I'm thinking I may have a weak fuel pump form some of the other member's comments. Fuel filters were changed about 4-5000 miles ago. I had the WIF light back in early December and had the dealer clean it out (they said they actually cleaned it and replaced the sensor).

Looking at rock auto they have the pump for about 150 and what looks to be the whole HFCM for 270.

Are these parts what I'm looking for? Is there any benefit to replacing the whole HFCM instead of just the pump? Any other suggestions before I throw money at it?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 03:32 PM
Premium Member

As long as it came back up from the 38psi blip it is probably fine. However, if it stayed there, you probably need the new pump. You might want to check the supply side to ensure no restrictions to flow. You would probably would have seen signs of this if it was slightly blocked. If all the internals are good, a pump is fine.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

what fuel filters are you running. i was getting bad pressures and bogging,low power, rough idle, and stalling from not using Motorcraft filters. change your filters and check youre pressures again.

id rather spend $50 on filters and that be the issue than spend $270 on a HFCM and that not fix it. i dont run over 3000 miles on fuel filters. 6.0's cant handle restrictions in the fuel system. they will KILL injectors.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Int.Tech04 View Post
i dont run over 3000 miles on fuel filters.
WOW, thanks for keeping the filter companies in business for us!

Recommended service interval in the manual is 15000 miles.

Unless you're pouring crap in your fuel tank, a 3000 mile interval is a good waste of money.

Do you change your oil filter and oil that often too?
Old 04-13-2013, 02:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

No, I don't. I run T6 full synthetic.

Do you want to buy injectors for me? It doesn't hurt anything to change them every 3k. $50 every 6 months is better than new injectors. The downfall of the 6.0 is poor maintenance, as we all know.

I'm sorry but 15k on fuel filters is stupid. I don't care what Ford says. With the problems the 6.0 has been known for, better safe than sorry.

Last edited by Int.Tech04; 04-13-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:42 PM

Fuel filters are factory done by the dealer right about 5,000 miles ago. I guess I'll try to pull the HFCM next week and see if its gunked up at all and take a look at my filters. Having never taken apart the HFCM, are there any tricks to be aware of? Looks like I just remove the electrical plugs, the fuel lines, and a few bolts on the other side of the frame right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.