Truck Hesitates when under Load - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 05:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck Hesitates when under Load

Hey guys, new to the forum. I have an 06 F350 KR with 83K on the odometer. No mods or programmer, all the factory services have been performed. Took the truck in to the Dealer a month ago and was having issues with a leak, and some Hesitation that had developed.

The Hesitation is mainly when I either get into the throttle from a start, and its seems to stutter. It also happens when I am on the Highway 70-75 Mph, and I am approaching a hill, the truck again stutters, and hesitates.

I told the dealer at the time, it seems to be "hunting" or starving for fuel.

So they found the Fuel Pressure Regulator was leaking fuel, so they replaced the gasket (O-Ring).

Got the truck back seemed ok, yet then another leak - this time the Fuel Filter Housing.

Back to the Dealer and told them the hesitation was back. They fixed the Fuel Filter, and stated they saw a code for low fuel level. I asked did they mean Fuel Pressure, and they said no, Fuel Level in the Tank. At the time I also told them of the Ford Blue Spring upgrade, yet that when in one ear and out the other.

Well, Truck is doing it again, and I do not have a heavy foot. Its just very annoying to be driving along and it is probably starving for fuel.

I used to work on Diesels in the Army mainly 2 stoke Detroit Diesels and to me it seems like the blue spring upgrade is worth a shot.

I just want to see if anyone has had similar issues, and can either confirm or deny that the blue spring mod is a fix, or I may have another issue at hand.

That being said, I will do the work myself this time.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by drbelleville; 04-11-2013 at 05:44 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 05:43 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would highly recommend checking fuel pressure before you keep blowing money. 12x1.5mm oring adapter here.....

Read up on the sticky for monitoring and do yourself a huge favor and get a monitor on your truck. The blue spring update is not a guarantee to fix your current problem, but a major step in the right direction to prevent future problems. It could be a bad fuel pump, clogged suction tube, clogged fuel filters, cracked intake tube, suction foot check valve fell out, and/or sounds somewhat like a bad injector. Has this occurred with the fuel level around 1/4 tank? Are you running motorcraft or racor filters and a good quality oil?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-14-2013, 04:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by southend View Post
I would highly recommend checking fuel pressure before you keep blowing money. 12x1.5mm oring adapter here.....

Has this occurred with the fuel level around 1/4 tank? Are you running motorcraft or racor filters and a good quality oil?

Thanks for the help and insight, I was going to purchase a monitor off the bat, yet all the work performed recently ate into that budget.

I am running stock Motorcraft filters and 15w40 as provided at the Ford Dealer( they have done all the services so far). And the issue has also happened when fully tanked up.

With all that being said, is there a monitor that offers plug and play right out of the box of Fuel and Oil pressure? I was looking at the Banks iQ 2.0, yet I think that ship has sailed.

Last edited by drbelleville; 04-14-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbelleville View Post
Thanks for the help and insight, I was going to purchase a monitor off the bat, yet all the work performed recently ate into that budget.

I am running stock Motorcraft filters and 15w40 as provided at the Ford Dealer( they have done all the services so far). And the issue has also happened when fully tanked up.

With all that being said, is there a monitor that offers plug and play right out of the box of Fuel and Oil pressure? I was looking at the Banks iQ 2.0, yet I think that ship has sailed.
If you have an android or iOS device I would recommend getting the SCT iTSX/TSX($450-475). If you don't and are not planning on tuning your truck I would go with a Edge insight CS($300-450) or CTS($400-600). Only thing the Edges allow you to monitor EGT's with an expandable probe while the SCT does not. I have gauges for mine anyway so it didn't matter to me.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:45 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbelleville View Post

If funds are tight, you can get a scanguage II. $160 at autozone

Old 04-15-2013, 08:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I dont believe there is a monitor out there with a plug and play for fuel pressure without and external input, most all of the monitors mentioned above will monitor oil pressure though, correct?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 04-15-2013, 09:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys,

I will look into the scangauge from Autozone.

I can run my own transducer and get that setup for Fuel-Pressure.

As an update,

Got in the truck this morning, and all was well.

At work had to head out and run to a different facility, and would not start. Turned the key off, pulled it. Put the key back in, went to start and after a bit of turning started - whew. Then headed out, and noticed a bit of a rougher idle with the A/C on at the light. Kept on about my drive, came to a light, took my turn, drove on, and at about 25mph - No Drive, coasted a bit checked that the shifter was in D (which it was), then had drive again.

After parking and going about my buisness, got back in the truck, and started it, although took a little longer than in the past.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Added the ScangaugeII, now I am going to get my fuel Pressure Gauge setup next.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:35 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
How do you like the SGII?
Old 04-18-2013, 09:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddawg89 View Post
How do you like the SGII?
Just installed it, but sofar I love it. Even for the peace of mind, and the few parameters you can monitor without spending much money is awesome.

Got it at Autozone with Military discount for 130 out the door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.