04 F250, Low power, wont rev past 3000RPMs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 07:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 F250, Low power, LOUD fuel pump whine, wont rev

long story short, i drove the truck to the gas station monday morning to get gas for the lawn mower, everything was fine.

headed to work that night after stopping at the gas station (i leave it running when i go in, its barely a minute from my house). went to pull out in the road and ran it a little harder than normal driving (not wide open, but enough that it will shift at 3,000rpms.) when it hit about 3000, it stopped like i was holding the brake and throttle at the same time. i let off and it shifted, then i rolled into it again. this time 2500rpms and it stops there. wouldnt go any higher. drove to work (interstate) and cruised just fine at 65. got off the interstate and put it to the floor. boost spiked around normal (20ish psi) and then it hit the wall again, 3000rpms, with boost dropping to 13-14psi.

SCT said ICP was fluctuating between 580-590 at idle, with a spike in the high 3000psi range before it hit the 3000RPM mark, and the ICP reading would slowly decrease with the RPMS, not like an immediate drop. i stopped at a redlight and hit wide open throttle from a standstill. ICP spiked around 4100PSI (Livewire keeps highest reading listed until that is surpassed by a higher reading) and stayed in the high 3000's, but as soon as it hit 2500RPM's it stopped accelerating and bogged down. fuel pump under the cab seems unusually loud, but ive also been wondering if the ICP sensor isnt going in the crapper.

current setup-

XDP EGR Delete with EGR valve blockoff plate.
4in straight pipe
SCT Livewire w/ 65hp tow tune
BPD oil cooler relocation kit
Rotella T6 5W-40 (about 3K miles on this oil change, still looks clean as the day i changed it)
FICM replaced late December 2012
just changed fuel filters about 300 miles ago.

forgot to add that during this WOT and no power, the transmission WILL NOT shift until i let off. limp mode? no codes/check engine light present.

Last edited by Int.Tech04; 04-11-2013 at 05:06 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 10:04 AM

also, the truck does not smoke, it starts fine and idles fine.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Premium Member

High Pressure Oil leak or failing High Pressure Oil Pump. Check and make sure your discharge tube doesnt look like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/emcnrfpwq9ae4fp/Tube_1.jpg

You'll see on the bend of the tube where it was rubbing the HPOP cover.

If your tube doesnt have the wear marks from rubbing, its most likely the HPOP, I had the exact same problems in my 03. Its a possibility the IPR is failing, but I'm suspecting a weak failing pump.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:27 PM

Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but the truck does have 163k on it. When I had the turbo out, the valley looked like it hadn't been touch except for the BPD oil cooler relocation kit. It's just so odd that the ICP reading is normal until I get to 3000rpms. If I keep letting off and making it do it multiple times, it won't rev over 2000rpms after about the 3rd time. If I just hold it to the floor, its like you held it wide open and turned the ignition off. It just slowly loses RPMS and the ICP hovers between 750-770.

At least it's an easy job, although expensive.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:43 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
definitely check your fuel pressure. A whining pump is textbook for failure.

After that I'd be suspecting a HPOP, seen the swash pumps do some weird things when they go out. Lack of power from low ICP is one of them
Old 04-09-2013, 11:08 PM

It seems that the truck is cutting the ICP down like its in limp. Still no codes. Fuel pump is extremely loud. On my way to work tonight it got slightly worse. Injectors were noisy like it was running out of fuel. Started loping pretty hard at idle. Free revd the truck in park and it cleared up, like the pump had time to catch up. Since the factory pump is close to the price of say an Airdog or other aftermarket replacements, what would be a good suggestion?

forgot to mention that after finally making it to work, the fuel pump was EXTEMELY loud. i could hear it in the cab with the truck running at idle. after sitting all night, i went to start it, and when the pump kicked in, it was quiet for a second or two, then started whining LOUDLY.

no hard start or long starts, even when i shut it down and restart it immediately at operating temp. ive got to find me a gauge and check the fuel pressure. the pump just sounds horrible.

Last edited by Int.Tech04; 04-10-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 11:16 PM

Little update for tonight -

Removed plug for test port and couldn't find a fitting here at work, so I drained the HFCM and tried there. No luck.

Well I unplugged the ICP sensor and test drove it. Truck ran better than earlier and would rev past 3000rpms again. Ran great.

Plugged it back in and it started acting up again. Looks like I need an ICP sensor.

-EDIT-

scratch that, tried to drive it home with ICP sensor unplugged. started acting up again. i still think its fuel related. when it starts acting up, the Injectors get extremely loud, like they are running dry. strangely enough, i drained the HFCM and it ran great for a short time. i think im in need of a pump. when i started it to drive home, i could hear the pump in the cab, doors and windows shut, and the truck running.

FASS or AirDog? may as well bite the bullet and upgrade.

heres why i think its the pump - video from this morning

Last edited by Int.Tech04; 04-11-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:51 AM
Premium Member

You maybe on the right track, its definitely noisy. Normal fuel pressure without the blue spring upgrade should be around 45psi, with the blue spring upgrade is will be around 65 psi.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:11 AM

The truck is gonna sit until I get off work Saturday morning. Luckily I've got my old E30 to drive. I'm gonna test the fuel pressure then. Guys at Thoroughbred Diesel said its pretty rare for the pumps to fail and also suggested testing the pressure (at least he didn't sell me a pump without asking a lot of questions first. Nice guy), but I can't see those noises being good. Towards the end of the video you can hear the pump making a pulsing sound. If only you could hear it in person. The video doesn't capture it as well.

Last edited by Int.Tech04; 04-11-2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:53 AM

What is the fuel level in the tank during all this? You may have a pickup issue.allowing air to be sucked in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.