Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Oily motor

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  fuzzman 
#1 ·
Just installed a leveling kit today and I saw that the motor (right above the exhaust manifold) is wet; with what I do not know. It appears to be oil but the level hasn't changed in weeks. Maybe something to do with injectors or part of the fuel system? Leaky o rings somewhere?

#2 ·
What does the fluid smell like, diesel, oil or coolant?

#3 ·
It's pretty odorless to be honest... just a really black, oily substance. The motor is wet around th exhaust manifold but nothing is leaking onto the ground. Like previously stated, no oil or coolant loss and I haven't noticed any "disappearing" fuel.

#4 ·
Mines the same on the passenger side, but ive found that the prev. Owner had worj done and the valve covers were bent at the bolt holes because the bolts have a centering grommet on it that if you tighten down it will bend a point into it. Plus the gasket was messed up with the sharp edges digging in. I had mine off and flattened the cover surface using a vise and a socket to make them smooth ( a week ago). Ive found its best (depending on condition of gasket, if you set the gasket on the cover and pop your bolts through it will hold it in good enough to carefully put on the head. Or just do a 1 turn in so its loose on all bolts then pull up on cover as you hand tighten the bolts. Also the bottom back bolts on pass side are impossible to torque so its really just guessing with a wrench.

Check the bolts on the valve covers, if theyre grimey then its valve cover gaskets most likely

#5 ·
Could be glow plug harness as well, hard to say

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.