6.0L cold stumbling questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 11:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0L cold stumbling questions

Hello just picked up my first diesel (2nd Ex) and have some questions about the diesel drivertrain.
For days it is 30-50F how long does it have to idle/warm up before you can drive it?
When starting I turn the key and hold it until after the glow plug light on dash goes out and wait further until I don't hear the buzzing sound under the hood THEN I turn the key to start it. It starts up fairly quick and idles fine unless it i really cold then it will have a slight lope.
When I first start it there is a puff of white smoke and it idles fine. If I try driving it after a few minutes of idling if it was started cold it feels like it only has 50hp. It accelerates VERY slow and at 2300-2700 it just revs like it is governed and I have to lift up the gas pedal so it can upshift and accelerate at lower rpms.
Sometimes after being warmed up it accelerates normal from a stop but can still get hung up at 2500-3000rpm and I can see white smoke coming out the exhaust pipe. Again I lift up the pedal and it upshifts then accelerates.
I have let it idle for 20-30 minutes and it was at operating temp then it accelerates from stop fine but can sometimes still also gets stuck at 2500 rpm.
After a few accelerating cycles it stops and it really accelerates at that same rpm with the whistle sound of the turbo.
Is this stiction? Or is it stuck turbo vanes? Or injectors?
Is there a test that can be done by Ford or independent diesel shop that can electronically look at the performance of the injectors? These were supposed to have been replaced 50K ago with new Ford's.

Last edited by rowekmr; 03-31-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 04:07 AM

could be any of them, ficm may need reflashed. do you have edge insight to monitor engine vitals
Old 03-31-2013, 08:48 AM

No gauges and I was told the truck was bone stock. I wanted to get a gauge but wanted to learn more about tunes and tuners to see if there is a mild one for better efficiency so I can get better mileage without overstressing the stock drivetrain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite rider View Post
could be any of them, ficm may need reflashed. do you have edge insight to monitor engine vitals
Old 03-31-2013, 10:49 AM

The edge insight only monitors your vitals. Does not load any performance tunes into pcm.As far as tuners go there are a lot to choose from, My son and i both run sct tuners which seems to be what alot 6.0 guys run. U can get custom tunes that won`t stress your drive train with minor mods such as 4in exhaust to get it breathing and getting the heat out faster than stock pipes. The more power you want the more mod you will need $$$$$$$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.