Newbie issue. First diesel and it has me nervous. 230 ECT - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 08:04 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie issue. First diesel and it has me nervous. 230 ECT

Just bought an 05 CCSB with 135k on the clock. Hasn't had any bulletproof items done, has a 4" exhaust and a superchips tuner that I verified is on stock.

Okay problem is, 5 hour drive home ECT was steady around 222 and would jump to 230 reading off my scanner running live data. I've read through the forum and it seems like a higher EOT is the concern. I'm just wondering what the culprit could be and how far I need to get into bulletproofing. I am planning on doing a heavy pull 3000 miles in a month so I do want this truck reliable.

I am planning on a bulletproof EGR cooler and swapping out all the fluids with an oil bypass kit as well. Do I need to worry about anything else?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 09:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome.

Sorry to say, but you have some work in front of you if your ECT is that high. I am assuming that was unloaded and at moderate temperatures.

I am running ECT of 192-194 when unloaded at highway speeds at 40 deg air temp. When I tow my 5th wheel at 60 - 65 in the summer I will see temperatures around 220 ECT when climbing hills, but the fan will jump up and the temps fall back to 210.

Keep reading up on coolant types, flushing your system, etc.... Once you start flushing you will likely trash your oil cooler (ifi it isn't already). What is your ECT/EOT delta?

MikeB
Old 03-30-2013, 01:13 PM
Serving Our Country!

It was unloaded, around 70 in northern FL. I was showing around 60%load according to the scanner cruising @ 70mph/2000rpm. It was holding around 9-10 lbs of boost constant. Checked things out today and the coolant was low in the res so after topping it off it seems be staying around 209. Can't tell if there was any coolant overflow previously because the engine bay was detailed before I got there. Doesn't smoke at all so I'm wondering if I should do the restore coolant flush first or jump right in to replacing coolers? If coolers are clogged will a flush free them back up or is it straight to replacing things?

Old 03-31-2013, 02:36 AM

Sounds like u have something dragging on the truck like frozen calipers. Holding 9-10 lbs of boost empty on highway at that speed seems high. Seems like your truck working to hard empty. Start with that first.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:14 AM
Serving Our Country!

I'll have to check that out. It did seem like it should have more power but being new to diesel I didn't have anything to compare it to. What should a stock truck be running with a lift and 35s? I'll probably swing it by the dealer tomorrow but I'm not sure exactly what to tell them to check out.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:48 AM

Why go to the dealer? Most likely, they will steam roll you since you don't know either.
Just do some reading, and if you are somewhat mechanically inclined, you'll be ok.
Where are you at? Maybe there's a great shop near you.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:56 AM
Serving Our Country!

I am mechanically savvy, just not familiar with diesels. Troubleshooting is seeming to be the difficult part. I was expecting "some" work on this truck but it seems like it's working way to hard to just move itself. I'll stay away from the stealership if I can though. I'm in southern AL @ Ft. Rucker near Dothan. I did see some posts on the powerstrokehelp.com guy in GA. He is about 5 hours away though.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:09 AM
Serving Our Country!

Oh I forgot to mention, cruising at those highway speeds, going from level ground to a hill the truck would surge like a stumble or hesitation. Maybe a result of the same issue or help with the diagnosis.
I thought I saw a write up on the EGR removal, cleaning & inspection before. Is that a good place to start to get an idea of what the truck needs?

Old 03-31-2013, 07:29 AM

Open the hood and just jump in head first. I am very suprised how shade tree mechanic freindlt these trucks actully are. And I know my truck just seemed to wake up more and more with the work done to it. This site and these guys saved me $$$$$$ and alot of sleepless nites.
EGR cleaning is a great place to start. Just dont clean with break cleaner. And if that sucker has been pulled in a while it will be stuck in there.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:42 AM
Serving Our Country!

I'm planning on swapping out every fluid this thing has and cleaning out what I can. Just don't trust the previous owner. Doesn't seem like he stayed on top of things. I did get this for a good enough price I can put a few grand into working on it. I just want that $$$ to go to making it a reliable rig that will tow 14k # for 3000 miles without any problems. Running 10psi and 230 cruising on the highway completely empty makes it seem like this rig needs some love.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.