Battery Light & Alternator Problems (with resolution) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 05:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Battery Light & Alternator Problems (with resolution)

First, I wanted to say I just registered but have used this forum as a resource for a while now. I've been driving an F250 supercab gasser for the past couple of years, but wifey recently gave me permission to find a crew. The crew I ened up with was a 2003 with the 6.0.

I ran into a small problem with the truck. I searched the forum about this and saw it was a common problem, and I saw people changing out batteries and alternators, and most never reported that they actually had a fix. So I wanted to share what fixed mine.

My truck had a fresh rebuilt alternator when I got it. It was the 'ToughOne' brand from Advance, their part # P8515. The day after I bought the truck, after putting less than 50 miles on it, the battery light started flickering randomly. I made a quick test rig to plug a multimeter into the cig lighter and saw voltage fluctuating from 14V down to 12V at random times, and the battery light would come in with the fluctuation.

Looking up schematics on AllData, I saw that the battery light was controlled directly from the alternator.

So I went to Advance, and without the receipt, I bought a replacement reman alternator. I hung it at work and drove home. On the way to work the next morning, I started getting the battery light again. When I got to work, I touched the alternator and it was HOT, much hotter than the bracket it sits on.

No one local had a new alternator in stock, just remans. So I ordered a brand new Bosch 135 amp unit from Advance, part AL7606N. Their website quoted 7-10 days, but UPS dropped it off the next day.

Installed it and the truck started right up and I haven't seen the battery light since. I've been running it for 2 weeks.

I wanted to share my solution and a warning. Don't get a cheap *** reman. The new Bosch part was $200, but Advance had a $50 coupon off a $175 purchase, so net cost was $150. Pretty cheap and the job only gets done once, where on my truck is on its 3rd replacement alternator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to berusch For This Useful Post:
sprat (07-30-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 05:49 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by berusch View Post
First, I wanted to say I just registered but have used this forum as a resource for a while now. I've been driving an F250 supercab gasser for the past couple of years, but wifey recently gave me permission to find a crew. The crew I ened up with was a 2003 with the 6.0.

I ran into a small problem with the truck. I searched the forum about this and saw it was a common problem, and I saw people changing out batteries and alternators, and most never reported that they actually had a fix. So I wanted to share what fixed mine.

My truck had a fresh rebuilt alternator when I got it. It was the 'ToughOne' brand from Advance, their part # P8515. The day after I bought the truck, after putting less than 50 miles on it, the battery light started flickering randomly. I made a quick test rig to plug a multimeter into the cig lighter and saw voltage fluctuating from 14V down to 12V at random times, and the battery light would come in with the fluctuation.

Looking up schematics on AllData, I saw that the battery light was controlled directly from the alternator.

So I went to Advance, and without the receipt, I bought a replacement reman alternator. I hung it at work and drove home. On the way to work the next morning, I started getting the battery light again. When I got to work, I touched the alternator and it was HOT, much hotter than the bracket it sits on.

No one local had a new alternator in stock, just remans. So I ordered a brand new Bosch 135 amp unit from Advance, part AL7606N. Their website quoted 7-10 days, but UPS dropped it off the next day.

Installed it and the truck started right up and I haven't seen the battery light since. I've been running it for 2 weeks.

I wanted to share my solution and a warning. Don't get a cheap *** reman. The new Bosch part was $200, but Advance had a $50 coupon off a $175 purchase, so net cost was $150. Pretty cheap and the job only gets done once, where on my truck is on its 3rd replacement alternator.
Well first off welcome to the org and thank you for sharing your fix and welcome to the 6.0l club! Everyone on the org is awesome you came to the right place!!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks man. I should have noted above that the battery connections and grounds are all clean and in great shape, and both batteries are fairly new and test good by themselves.

I think the cheap Mexican rebuilds use borderline diodes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.