Starter wiring questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Lance1
  • 1 Post By Lance1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 06:36 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starter wiring questions

Good morning,
I purchased an early 2004 350 as a non running project last summer. I have finally put the engine back in after doing head gaskets & studs, egr delete, oil cooler, etc. The usual....Anyway, back when I had picked it up, it would not crank, but I knew that the starter was tempermental, so I blamed it on that. Fast forward to now, with a new starter in, it only cranks if I disconnect and energize the solenoid lead directly. When I use the key, every thing energizes as I think it should. Pump runs, injectors buzz, etc. But when I turn the key to start, nothing, no click, nothing. The Haynes manual I have only covers wiring up to 2002. Does anybody have a starter circuit diagram they can share, or identify the various components that need checking? I wiggled the gear shift (automatic), no difference. I have not actually gone through with the meter yet. One thing is that the water in fuel indicator is lit up on the dash. I changed both fuel filters, I have not looked further to see if there is a drain on the pump anywhere. Would that prevent cranking until it is drained and/or reset to protect the engine? Any help wold be appreciated. I see the light at the end of this 6 month project, and I am getting a little antsy to hear it run....

Thanks!
Delecto likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 09:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Drain

There is a drain on the pump and it's an easy, but messy job. Get under there and drain that sucker. You will probably get some fuel on yourself, so be careful and wear crappy clothes. If your light is still on you probably have a sensor problem, which isn't the end of the world. The hardest thing about cleaning or changing the sensor is getting the fuel fittings loose for the fuel lines. You need a fuel line disconnect tool to get the job done. They are cheap, and you will need it again if you don't have one already.

If you still have a light after draining then...
To take off the fuel pump at the frame rail (called the HFCM for future reference), drain the HFCM, disconnect the fuel lines, disconnect the electrical connections and then unbolt if from the frame. Take that sucker over to your workbench and open her up. You can see your sensor, you might have a heater in there as well. Clean it or replace it.

Here is a picture of what you might see:

Where all the crud is is where the sensor lives. The empty compartment just above it with the brown electrical connector on the outside is for the heater, you may or may not have that depending on how your pump was equipped.

When you put it back together make sure you purge the air by cycling the key on and waiting 30 seconds before turning it off several times. You will hear the pump priming. I can't remember how many times, but seems to me 8 is the number.

Regarding your electrical diagram - I have a manual that should help. PM me and I'll send it to you.

Best of luck!
Old 03-20-2013, 09:08 PM

Got er' figured. The truck had a remote starter / anti theft device that no longer was operational, and interupted the starter circuit. I spent an hour with the meter under the hood and in the fuse box, and if I had just bent down a little further, I would have saw a big ugly ball of wires and tape.... Tomorrow it comes out and try to remediate the wiring.
Delecto likes this.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:15 PM
Premium Member

It would still be a good idea to clean out the HFCM as suggested. The wiring diagram synopsis in the 6.0 coffee table book is pretty good, but there are portions of the manual on-line via search engines that will give you connector and location information.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:27 PM

yes, she'll still be getting a good going over of these types of items, driveline fluids, etc, before I put any miles on it.

Lance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.