Diagnostic Codes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-13-2013, 01:22 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 84
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Diagnostic Codes

I have recently purchased a Scangauge II to use with my 6.0 after the loss of 8 injectors. Well I'm just getting a hang of the device and I had a few questions on diagnostics. In order for codes to be transmitted must you have a check engine light that works? Mine doesn't really work and I would like to know if it is necessary. Another thing is what type of issues would it pick up (ie misfires etc).

And finally this is a little unrelated to the topic but what X-gauges should I customize? I already have FICM voltage, ICP, and Oil Temp.

Also I know I post alot but I'm new to a diesel and this is my first vehicle ever. (My dad brought it home for me, I wanted a 7.3 but we get discounts at that particular dealership and all they had at the time was a 6.0)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-14-2013, 05:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 415
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A dealership sold you a vehicle with a malfunctioning check engine light...????

MikeB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 03-14-2013, 06:52 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 238
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
"codes to be transmitted" ? Not sure what that means, so putting the post aside, here is a brief semi-detailed summary of a PCM/ECM and the logging and lighting, it does.

The PCM/ECM is the computer that lights the check engine light. Think of the PCM/ECM as the windows computer that runs the truck. Along with running the truck(fuel, air, timing etc...shifting, cooling, etc...etc...) it monitors certain parameters of the truck. Temperatures, knocking, mis-fires and a host of other stuff. If a monitored parameter is out of tolerance, then a code is stored in memory. This code is defined as, and is, applicable to the parameter that was out of tolerance. If the code set in memory, due to the out of tolerance condition, is emmisions related then the PCM/ECM turns on the check engine/service engine (CEL/SEL) light. If a mis-fire is detected the light often is programmed to blink. So, does that help any?

As a side note, you need to find out what's wrong with the truck 'cause 8 injectors don't just fail for no reason. Even on our beloved 6.oh's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 03-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 84
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherBNtheWoods View Post
"codes to be transmitted" ? Not sure what that means, so putting the post aside, here is a brief semi-detailed summary of a PCM/ECM and the logging and lighting, it does.

The PCM/ECM is the computer that lights the check engine light. Think of the PCM/ECM as the windows computer that runs the truck. Along with running the truck(fuel, air, timing etc...shifting, cooling, etc...etc...) it monitors certain parameters of the truck. Temperatures, knocking, mis-fires and a host of other stuff. If a monitored parameter is out of tolerance, then a code is stored in memory. This code is defined as, and is, applicable to the parameter that was out of tolerance. If the code set in memory, due to the out of tolerance condition, is emmisions related then the PCM/ECM turns on the check engine/service engine (CEL/SEL) light. If a mis-fire is detected the light often is programmed to blink. So, does that help any?

As a side note, you need to find out what's wrong with the truck 'cause 8 injectors don't just fail for no reason. Even on our beloved 6.oh's.
Actually it does help somewhat. What caused the injectors to go bad was a bad fuel pump causing bad fuel pressure. It was going bad for awhile we (as in my mechanic and I) think. Back in December on a routine service trip they detected a bad injector (number 1 I believe it was not sure on that). I replaced it and it ran alot better for awhile. Less than 2 months later my truck would die on me everytime I put it in gear and I'd have to warm it up for a good 20 minutes before it would run properly and I noticed I didn't have much power. Well one day it began doing it alot more and when it was in park. So I took it to the dealership and they said its fuel pump was bad. They tested it and the fuel pressure still wasn't normal. So they looked at the injectors and saw that each of them had been damaged. They didn't really misfire they were just junk so I would understand why a check engine light wouldn't come on. But in December no check engine light came on so maybe the incidents were related. Anyway all is well now except for a slight miss after a cold start (no codes for that I would think). Bought the scangauge to moniter my FICM voltage and all is normal.

Thanks for your information!!

Ps. What did you mean when you said knocking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-14-2013, 06:35 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 84
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSDMikeB View Post
A dealership sold you a vehicle with a malfunctioning check engine light...????

MikeB
Well I'm not sure if it works or not. When I turn my key to cycle my glow plugs it appears until I fire the engine up. Other than that it doesn't do anything. Is there a way I can test it? Or get it fixed if it doesn't work? It never illuminates if I have a miss on a cold morning so I'm curious if that is normal or does it illuminate after the problem has gone on for awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 03-14-2013, 06:52 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BESSEMER ALABAMA
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Diagnostic Codes

Cel is not gonna come on for a misfire cold on a 6.0. If it comes on when key is turned on and goes out it is working correctly. Cel comes on for emission related codes basically.


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-14-2013, 07:29 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 84
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris7686 View Post
Cel is not gonna come on for a misfire cold on a 6.0. If it comes on when key is turned on and goes out it is working correctly. Cel comes on for emission related codes basically.


Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Ok thank you!! The problems I've had are all starting to make since now! Low fuel pressure caused bad injectors. Not misfires! I just need some fuel pressure gauges. Any idea on where to purchase them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 03-15-2013, 06:34 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 238
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would keep looking. Mostly at the FICM. A FICM going south can cause poor cold starts, and will cause injectors to fail. Low fuel pressure can harm injectors also, but usually an injector harmed by low fuel pressure is REALLY harmed. Low pressure doesn't fill the injector well and when the high pressure oil is appliedto the plunger it can/will buttom out(because of the lack of anything/enough to pump) and REALLY really can destroy injectors. Injectors harmed by low pressure usually don't go much further down the road.

A failing FICm, on the other hand, will keep going AS it slowly kills the injectors. Plus will give a rough cold start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 03-15-2013, 07:47 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 84
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherBNtheWoods View Post
I would keep looking. Mostly at the FICM. A FICM going south can cause poor cold starts, and will cause injectors to fail. Low fuel pressure can harm injectors also, but usually an injector harmed by low fuel pressure is REALLY harmed. Low pressure doesn't fill the injector well and when the high pressure oil is appliedto the plunger it can/will buttom out(because of the lack of anything/enough to pump) and REALLY really can destroy injectors. Injectors harmed by low pressure usually don't go much further down the road.

A failing FICm, on the other hand, will keep going AS it slowly kills the injectors. Plus will give a rough cold start.
What should I look for on my FICM? I continue to moniter my voltage and it is 47v-48v which is normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 03-15-2013, 08:00 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 238
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejack6.0 View Post
What should I look for on my FICM? I continue to moniter my voltage and it is 47v-48v which is normal.
I'm not totally convinced that the monitored voltage is the actual actual voltage, as measured with a meter. Search this site, or the web, for FICM checking" and you'll find a write up on measuring the actual output(input) of the P/S half of the FICM with a meter. But, if it's really 47-48 you should be good. Checked when cold, not running etc...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors