Another starting problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another starting problem

Hey guys, i have a 05 F-350 with 130 000 km . Issue started as a no start on occasion then turned into no start all the time when engine was warm. Did so research and changed STC and dummy plugs and stand pipes. Still not the issue so took in and they said icp was no good so changed that then they said IPR was not working so changed that as well. All new injectors 15000 km ago. Now its running and ipr cycle 75% and icp showing 221 psi so still no start when warm.

There saying HPOP and so i asked why is it not stalling? They said IPR is prob going to 100 % cycle and so then i asked if they tried to get it to 100% cyclethat and then start but they said they cant its a safety feature and they can only get it and observe it to 75 % cycle. ???? So then i said if hpop was causing this truck should stall when warm cause if its a safety thing then why can truck do this. Im puzzled any ideas or opinions. Thanks every one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2013, 07:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Another starting problem

Who did you take the truck too? The chances that both your icp and ipr are shot are pretty slim, though possible... They could have told you that you have a bad hpo leak by unplugging the icp and seeing if it would start. Then testing the icp and ipr values. Ipr duty cycles is at a operating range of 15% (open and releasing excesive oil back to the pan) and 85% (closed attempting to build up more pressure) - 100% duty cycle will te*****ally fry the ipr.

An air leak test needs to be performed to verify and find the leak. Your engine wont start when there is less than 500 psi of hpo. The truck will warm up and the oil pressure will go way down as the oil thins thats why it wont start when warm - driving on 200 psi of oil with the heui system will destroy your injectors and other major internals.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Not sure

I also think hpo leak but whats left hpop and injectors. So if the ipr never hits 100% then if a hpop was weak after oil warmed and thined the truck would stall right? This is leading me to belive its a injector o-ring. Please correct me if im wrong and call me dumb haha. Thanks for the reply This one is really screwing with my mind.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Another starting problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel 6.0 View Post
I also think hpo leak but whats left hpop and injectors. So if the ipr never hits 100% then if a hpop was weak after oil warmed and thined the truck would stall right? This is leading me to belive its a injector o-ring. Please correct me if im wrong and call me dumb haha. Thanks for the reply This one is really screwing with my mind.
Haha no you are on the right track, if your oil pressure is very low it will most likely start missing and not idle correctly.
Need to perform the air leak test!

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...icle-05-17.php

http://napaautotech-classsupport.com...-TEST-1WEB.pdf

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Premium Member

Just to be clear, if the pressure gets below 500psi, the FICM will not fire the injectors, even if you were driving. 85% is the maximum commanded IPR. Do the air test, M12-1.5mm thread to the ICP sensor attachment. There are a few stickies that give you extra guidance for diagnosing HPO issues (Jugernaut for example). Since you have changed the STC, dummy and standpipes, assuming good work was done, that should only leave the HPOP, the injector seals, and the HPO rail to injector seals. With a good ear, you should be able to find the leak.

No start hot is almost always a seal issue. However, the pump is possible. How long ago was the first fix completed? 15k (8 months) or last week? It is possible the HPOP decided to take a dump. If it did, it would have been nice to have replaced it with the STC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.