Small engine oil leak (w/ pictures) - newbie to 6.0L - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 05:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Small engine oil leak (w/ pictures) - newbie to 6.0L

I just bought this 2006 6.0L F350 (99K miles) and there is a noticeable engine oil leak; leaks enough to have it drip onto the ground after driving (maybe 2-3 drips). The oil leak ends up at the bottom of the transmission housing but is most likely coming from further up in the engine and probably more forward than where it ends up. There seems to be some oil on the engine's casing below the passenger side header; there is also oil on the plastic guard inside the wheel well and in that area of the engine. From reading up on the 6.0L engine (I had an old faithful 7.3L for years) I know there are potential oil leaks from sensors and such on the passenger side, are there any basic checks to try and identify where the oil leak is originating from? I am a newbie to the 6.0L engine so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached are a couple pictures of where the leak ends up (botom of transmission housing). FYI, these pictures were taken after cleaning up the area very well and then driving around to see if the leak persists. The pictures need to be rotated 90 degrees clockwise to be true to the actual truck. The right side of the picture is actually the front of the transmission housing (forward-most part of the picture).

Thanks,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Small engine oil leak (w/ pictures) - newbie to 6.0L-image-1.jpg   Small engine oil leak (w/ pictures) - newbie to 6.0L-image-4.jpg   Small engine oil leak (w/ pictures) - newbie to 6.0L-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 09:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Re: Small engine oil leak (w/ pictures) - newbie to 6.0L

I think I have the same leak. I've checked everywhere. The only place i can find oil coming from higher up is the cac boot at the turbo. It's falling into the valley and down the sides and blowing back. ....from what i can see. I'm gonna do the ccv mod then see if it continues. There are so many places it could be coming from. I've checked other common places for leaks and haven't been successful funding it. Just been doing process of elimination.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 03-12-2013, 03:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Same thing for me.. I guess this is a common leak I've tried my best to see where it comes from but I can only chase it up to th bottom of intake. Other than that there is oil coming from the cac boot on the hot side on the turbo it goes down to the valley. I'm getting new boots and I'm gonna clean it up after I'm done . I'm hoping that is where it comes from.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:45 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdondon6677 View Post
I think I have the same leak. I've checked everywhere. The only place i can find oil coming from higher up is the cac boot at the turbo. It's falling into the valley and down the sides and blowing back. ....from what i can see. I'm gonna do the ccv mod then see if it continues. There are so many places it could be coming from. I've checked other common places for leaks and haven't been successful funding it. Just been doing process of elimination.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
If your boots are bad enough to leak oil then you need to replace the boots are it will not stop. Do the ccv mod and get you some boots. I think that riff raff makes the best ones for the 6.0. Mag want to do a little research on that, I have been out of the 6.0 loop for a little bit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

New boots with the cac is what's gonna happen. I just left that part out. RR makes some nice ones. That's probably who I'm gonna buy them from. Had to change that crappy cold side plastic tube for the metal one about 3 months ago. Bought ccv stuff and was fixing to order the boots and do it all then but I had a plumbing issue come up at my house. It took precedence so I couldn't afford the boots. Got the funds now just haven't done it. Don't have alot of free time right now cause hunting season just ended and fishing just started getting good.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:55 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Might want to make time. If the boot blows and you drive it home then your egt's will get really high. That is not good for anything especially head gaskets.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Probably in the next month along with a few other things ibeen wanting to do.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:29 PM

I know this thread was made a long time ago but im wondering if the leak was found?

I myself just bought a 05 6.0 with 100k miles and have the same leak as you. I checked the valley and its dry, the CAC hose is replaced, I can't figure it out.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:04 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My truck is at the Ford dealer with this very same leak. It turned out to be the rear main seal and will be getting fixed this Friday or Saturday.
Eh, that is to say, there's no oil leaking down the side or back of the visible block. It just seems to appear from the trans inspection port and block to trans area.

Last edited by Soledad; 05-15-2014 at 04:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Soledad For This Useful Post:
tbuss5831 (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 12:07 PM

Thanks for the reply. Ill check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.0 oil leak, oil leak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.