03-04-2013, 12:38 AM
Join Date: Jan 2012
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wires Chaffed at or near connector?
Well after doing a HG job my truck fired up and stalled...NO HPO!
After taking off the drivers side valve cover off to pressurize the system I went to pull the IPR connector off and to my surprise I found the insulation was melted off the wires right next to the connector. Obviously, the heat shield wasn't in place over the connector.
All my years of being In avionics, I decided I would try to fix it vs replacing the pig tail...After 30 minutes once I found this my truck was back on the road. I have done this to 5 other connectors on my truck and many other things in my house and have had 100% success saving a few hundred dollars.
ALL CONNECTORS ARE REPAIRABLE AND DON'T NEED TO BE REPLACED
So here's what you do:
1) Disconnect the problem connector
2) Slide the rubber (if applicable) off the end of the end of the connector.
3) Take a flashlight and look into the end of the connector, you will see there is a retaining tab on the pins, although hard to see its there!!
4) This is where it can get tricky, I usually use a right angle pick to depress the retainer and slide the wire out of the connector. Simple as that.
5) If you need to take all the wires out of the connector make sure to write down the order and orientation of the plug
6) MOST OF THE CONNECTORS & PINS YOU CAN BUY AT CARQUEST OR NAPA ALL YOU NEED IS THE NUMBER OFF THE CONNECTOR
I'll try to load some pictures Wednesday, its 230am and I'm getting ready to go to bed to plow in the morning.