Wires Chaffed at or near connector? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 11:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Post Wires Chaffed at or near connector?

Well after doing a HG job my truck fired up and stalled...NO HPO!

After taking off the drivers side valve cover off to pressurize the system I went to pull the IPR connector off and to my surprise I found the insulation was melted off the wires right next to the connector. Obviously, the heat shield wasn't in place over the connector.

All my years of being In avionics, I decided I would try to fix it vs replacing the pig tail...After 30 minutes once I found this my truck was back on the road. I have done this to 5 other connectors on my truck and many other things in my house and have had 100% success saving a few hundred dollars.

ALL CONNECTORS ARE REPAIRABLE AND DON'T NEED TO BE REPLACED

So here's what you do:

1) Disconnect the problem connector
2) Slide the rubber (if applicable) off the end of the end of the connector.
3) Take a flashlight and look into the end of the connector, you will see there is a retaining tab on the pins, although hard to see its there!!
4) This is where it can get tricky, I usually use a right angle pick to depress the retainer and slide the wire out of the connector. Simple as that.
5) If you need to take all the wires out of the connector make sure to write down the order and orientation of the plug

6) MOST OF THE CONNECTORS & PINS YOU CAN BUY AT CARQUEST OR NAPA ALL YOU NEED IS THE NUMBER OFF THE CONNECTOR

I'll try to load some pictures Wednesday, its 230am and I'm getting ready to go to bed to plow in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.