STIFF TURNING, TBC FAULT (ONLY WHEN TURNING), TBC NOT READING - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 06:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation STIFF TURNING, TBC FAULT (ONLY WHEN TURNING), TBC NOT READING

Symptoms:

I went to work and when I came out the trucks steering was a little stiff and it sounded like the power steering pump was whining a little. I drove it to the store and while I was out I reviewed all my normal stats and everything seemed fine. My thought was, if it is the U-Joints or the powersteering pump I will know soon enough, without a doubt, but then I made a hard left turn and a TBC Fault displayed. I did some research and found that it was my Trailor Brake Control, so I checked all my fuses and the plug for water and everything seems fine. When checking my fuses I noticed that the TBC is no longer displaying the 8.8 that it typically displays. I turned the wheel to the right and it flashed TBC Fault again, when it did the TBC flashed 1.1. Also if I squeeze the control it dislpays numbers.

What could be causing this? Does it sound like I have multiple problems? Should I not be driving it?

Things I have checked, Fuses, Batteries, Checked for Peracidic draw to see if something was leaking thru, mosture in actual plug....

What else should I check?

Thank you so much in advance for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Braking When Turning

So after closer inspection all of the steering linkage seems fine. I re-lubed the ujoints and it all looks great. I think what is happening is that the breaks are engaging when turning the wheels. How could that happen? Is there some kind of valve that can go bad in these that will allow the pressure from the power steering pump to activate the brakes?
Old 03-03-2013, 08:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

the TBC does interact with the brakes at the master cylinder

so IDK what going on ? maybe unplug the controller and see what happens ?
Old 03-03-2013, 08:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Could this be the HydroBoost some how? I have read it could cause the sticking in the brakes, but not the TBC Fault. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 03-03-2013, 10:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I removed the TBC and the bakes still appear to be locking up. Is there a way to test the Brake Pressure Sensor to see if it could be faulty?
Old 03-05-2013, 06:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Braking while turning, tbc fault

It ended up being the power brake booster. Apparently the tbc fault appeared because there was not enough vacuum. I ruled out all other problems and lifted the truck while someone turned the wheel I tried to spin the tire. Seeing that it was locking up still, and not the steering linkage I knew it was the brakes. To my knowledge this is the only part of the brakes linked to power steering so I took an educated guess and it fixed the problem. Supposedly there is no way of testing the power brake booster in the field.

If this happens to anyone else I hope it helps.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
stiff steering, tbc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.